Need help with a $750 build (never built a PC before)

Abyss_of_Sorrow

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
Hey guys. I recently posted asking for advice on a different site but I kept getting troll answers. My lady's laptop is about to die on us, and I figured that I would build us a PC. She is a digital artist, and uses USB Bamboo tablets, etc. She will need a disk drive, USB ports, and all that kind of basic stuff. I would like to get all I can out of it as a gaming computer as well. I am pretty computer illiterate, but I am a fast learner. I would like a computer that can get as many frames on nice looking settings as possible for $750. We do not need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, or any other peripheral like that. I would like to have the computer ordered as soon as possible, probably using pcpartpicker.

The primary use would be gaming, but it also needs to have a bit of utility for basics. I'm not sure when I will get the chance to do any upgrading. It will probably be a while. Honestly if the computer runs current generation games well I may not even want to upgrade. I mainly want to play some newer MMOs like Guild Wars 2, Minecraft, and maybe some random games here and there. I will need an OS and all of that stuff. Basically have a blank slate to start with. I have been working with GameFAQS users to put together a built that will get me the best deal for my money. So far the build I have been given is this. Honestly I don't know if its any good, as I really don't understand much of the specifics of the parts. If you could please let me know if this build is any good, make some edits or whatever you guys see fit. I'd really like to max graphics with good FPS.
As long as its around $750 please. Thank you.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xZTh8d

logainofhades

Titan
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($71.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($56.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $742.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-03 17:19 EDT-0400

Abyss_of_Sorrow

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

How would you compare your build to the one from the original post? I see a lot of similarities so I figured I would ask about the things that are different.
And do you guys feel as if this is a pretty good value for the money I have to spend? Like not getting much better than that for the budget?

Woody1999

Admirable
Okay I've taken my own spin on your build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/szXrXL

The difference between an i5 4590 and an i5 4460 is absolutely minimal. In gaming, you will not notice it at all, and in photo/video editing, it is a matter of seconds in difference. I can shave $10 off there.

The motherboard you chose was more of a business class motherboard, aimed towards non-gamers and often schools and businesses. I've replaced it with a more orientated and generally better looking H97 board from ASRock.

8GB of RAM is 8GB of RAM. I've just gone for dual channel instead of single for a roughly 5% performance boost.

Equally, a 1TB hard drive is enough for anyone unless they're a professional computer user with terabytes of files and programs. The Seagate Barracuda is probably the best bang for your buck right now.

The graphics card is what I did differently. By shaving money off places where it didn't need to be spent, I had a lot more money to spend on a pretty great graphics card. Unlike the R9 280X, the R9 290 is a completely new card, not just a 7970 rebrand. It's quite a bit faster, and should max out any game at your current resolution.

The case was a great choice, the Cooler Master N200 is one of the best MicroATX cases on the market.

As long as you have an install disk (which you can make, just google it) then you can buy windows OS keys off places like reddit for around £10, much cheaper than buying Windows. Make sure that the source is legit, though!

Hope I've helped!

Woody

Abyss_of_Sorrow

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
Well after all feedback I've merged a couple of different peoples systems and figured out one that looks good to me. Of course I'd like to know if anyone could personally estimate how good this system can run. The last thing I'm having issues with is finding a good motherboard that is compatible with choices so far. Can anyone take a peek at this build and add the best motherboard for the money? Hopefully that doesn't push it too far over $750, but doesn't take unnecessary sacrifices to performance either. Thanks, and sorry if I have been a bother.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/496tbv