HD 7990 vs 290x vs gtx 970? is this real?

qls

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
Right now im sold on the HD 7990.. Newegg for $349.99
Are you kidding? why not? Educate me
buying a card this monday. >$400
EDIT: Don't care about heat and power consumption. (1000w psu) and i can pay my power bill just fine

JP7PlaysMC

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014

The better card is the GTX 970, both in terms of performance, heat output, power comsumption.... the only problem would be the 3,5GB thing, that, unless you're playing at higher resolutions than 1440p, won't matter anyway.

I'd buy that card. It should even support directX 12 since it's GCN architecture. It outperforms either of the other cards you mentioned. Heck, it outperforms the GTX Titan on most benchmarks and titles.

That card was about 800 bucks at release.

qls

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015

so whats up with people like the one above you telling others a different story.. its seems to me that the numbers speak the truth

Not sure where you get that from.

JP7PlaysMC

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014

The reply above explains why I'd prefer either the GTX 970 or R9 290x over the 7990.... that and CrossfireX problems with some games. I wasn't clear enough. When I meant better performance I wanted to say more consistent and leaves you with the option to SLI in the future (970s scale pretty well).

qls

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015

i have been set on the 290x for the last couple weeks untill i recently found this hd 7990. and i was reading that a lot of the CF issues this card had at launch have been figured out. planning on future 3 monitor setup 1 ultrawide.

The 7990 is a GCN card too, and although it's somewhat dated, is supposed to have support for the same features that will be available to the R9 2xx series cards. Since it outperforms the R9 290x and the GTX Titan on the majority of benchmarks, I'd think that for that price it's a decent option.

This is as much detail as I've seen on the matter, with no mention of one GCN architectural version being MORE compatible than another.

Of the big 3 GPU vendors, all of them have confirmed what GPUs will be supported. For Intel their Gen 7.5 GPUs (Haswell generation) will support DirectX 12. As for NVIDIA, Fermi, Kepler, and Maxwell will support DirectX 12. And for AMD, GCN 1.0 and GCN 1.1 will support DirectX 12.

qls

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015

it just blows my mind that all over the inter webs googling this topic about what is the better preforming card all i find is "get the 970" this "get the 970" that "lower power consumption, cooler" bla bla bla.. when fact is PERFORMANCE benchmarks don't lie. Im no fanboy of either card company but i am a fan of "bang for your buck" and real performance.

Also with the hd 7990 its an sli card right? so games that dont work in sli i could just turn sli off right and problem solved at the cost of performance drops? and wouldnt even a single hd 7950 run most games in 1080p res just fine?

qls

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015

jeez i have been looking at these prices on and off over the time of a month or so at one point they were $260 after rebate and they have been $330+ for the last couple weeks.. glad you found that. I have to wait till Monday or i would probably snag that now

qls

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
thanks all! if i could give you all the best solution i would. But ya $279 is a deal breaker for me.. might have to throw in some water cooling goodies. was liking the Kraken for easy low maintenance. Again thanks for setting the fan boys and koolaid guzzlers straight on a new post. much love.

??
The GTX970 is a better card in many ways including performance (10% to 30% depending on overclock and if MFAA is used). Many models for only $40 more ($320). No need for the GTX970 to add liquid cooling to lower noise and liquid cooling kills the value of the R9-290X so I can't quite understand the logic here.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_970_SC_ACX_Cooler/25.html

What's this "koolaid" and "benchmarks don't lie" stuff? I just linked a benchmark which averages 20 games which shows a stock GTX970 beating a stock R9-290X by 8%. The GTX970 overclocks much better so that's well over 10% again not including MFAA which is usually at least an additional 10% boost over MSAA.

Most 970's will also turn the FAN OFF for silent operation when using in light usage.

For VALUE the R9-290X would be roughly similar due to its cheaper price but lower performance. It's hard to calculate value here exactly since not all games support MFAA, and of course the NVidia card has other features like:
- PhysX
- H.264 and H.265 encoder
- HDMI 4K @60FPS (does the R9-290X support 4K at 60FPS? Not sure.)
- Silent mode (most models)
- voxel lighting support
- HUD support (latency minimizing)
- software like Shadowplay (OBS supports the NVENC encoder as well)

qls

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015

i was referring to the hd 7990. but link me a 970 for comparison im curious.
aslo previously stated i think i said for triple monitor in the near future. Non reference coolers are just as cool as a 970

qls,
Post is getting a bit long so hard to read everything.

If we're talking HD7990 for $279 then stay away. It's got comparable frame rates to a GTX970 (see techpower link) on average but that does not translate to smoothness. And of course there's noise and the other things I mention which I just updated in my above post.

Of course not all games support multi-GPU or do so with severe stutter.

For $40 more you get a far better card. Plus, if you want Triple Monitor the HD7990 is a poor choice. You could add another GTX970 for more performance but the HD7990 is already a dual-GPU card.

Anyway, good luck.

qls

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015

originally we were discussing hd 7990 performance over gtx 970. not much of a comparison.

qls

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015

i have sli gtx cards now and haven't had many issues. And in MOST cases the hd 7990 out preforms 970... already a dual gpu card what does that have to do with anything? its a faster card for cheaper. two 970s? how about 2 7990s at that logic. or better yet 2 290xs.
also dont really care about noise as i usualy have headphones on.

qls,
you said "originally we were discussing hd 7990 performance over gtx 970. not much of a comparison. "

I don't know what that means since some people were all for it and some dead against it. And if I understand correctly you think it's a better card?

I don't know what "not much of a comparison" is supposed to mean either since the raw frame rates are similar in the benchmark. In fact, every card is comparable so it's probably not a term that should be used here.

Anyway, my advice is the GTX970. This model in fact:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp42974kr

Update:
By "already a dual-GPU card" I meant you could add another GTX970 later if you needed but that wasn't a good option if you bought the HD7990. That's in response to you stating you were considering Triple Monitor thus needing more performance.

Pricing:
I'm not following you. You said a "faster card for far cheaper"? First of all, it's 9% faster if comparing stock models but if you overclock both cards to max you get nearly IDENTICAL (on average). If you use MFAA on the GTX970 if supported for a game you'll end up with higher on the GTX970.

For $280 it's only about $40 difference between a GTX970 so not sure where "far cheaper" came from.

Let's also not forget that the GTX970 will be far faster in games that have no Crossfire support and that multi-GPU tends to have more stutter so you get overall better SMOOTHNESS on a single-GPU setup.

For $40 more on 970 you get similar raw FPS, smoother gameplay, much quieter card (though you say you don't care) and several features on the GTX970 that the HD7990 does not have.

Anyway, I'm starting to feel like I'm being interrogated more than my help is wanted so I'll bow out...

qls

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015

thank you for the link :)
closest comparison is when the hd 7990 looks to be 2% faster in one instance, 1600x900 (what is this 2002?) and 10% at 1080p, up to almost 30% at 4k.. how does this transfer in your head to gtx 970 being a better card? i dont understand.. i do understand you might have problems with crossfire support. and also you can over clock this thing.. these are stock speeds on a reference card.

qls

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015

i never said far cheaper.. i said cheaper. not that it matters but if you are going to "quote unquote" me, get it right

JP7PlaysMC

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014

Sorry to ask, but, have you already decided to buy the 7990? Cause whenever an argument for getting the GTX 970 you see to "discard" it. You might not care about noise/power consumption, but you'll surely care about either the new technologies/more smoothness whilst running games.

This was just a rant, nothing against you. If you think the 7990 is the card you SHOULD get, then go for it, as it's still a great card with 6GB of framebuffer that, albeit being a CrossfireX and you might have problems, still has an amazing performance. There's nothing wrong about prefering a card over other for as many reasons has you'd like.

I'll leave with this note: "For the innumerous reasons stated above, I'd go with the 970........and actually did :p"