4000+ rpms fan speed? Firepro W8100 GPU cooling issue

enjoiskaterguy

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
I am using MSI Afterburner and GPUobserver win7 gadget to monitor my GPU load, fan speed and temp.

MSI After burner & along with Toms Hardware review of the GPU says that its top speed on the card reaches 2100rpms but through my custom profiles on MSI Afterburner I can apparently bump that thresshold past 4000rpms?

GPUObserver Windows 7 gadget is reporting only using about 40% of its Max fan speed @ (1900rpm/ 54 degrees Celsius ) that suggests that at 100% fan speed I could be reaching a RPM rate of approximately 4500rpm or even more!!!?!

Is this safe or even possible for these workstation gpus?

thanks for any responses in advance.

Solution
Unless the system in installed in-or under-an active volcano or geothermal hotspot you won't need to get the fan up to anything like that kind of speed, but JUST for an experiment you could try.
Expect to be rendered deaf for a short period after the experiment.
As always, fans have a limited life, cheap ones with plain bearings don't last as well as those with ball bearings but running them/it at high speed continuously will shorten their/its lifespan regardless of quality.
Unless the system in installed in-or under-an active volcano or geothermal hotspot you won't need to get the fan up to anything like that kind of speed, but JUST for an experiment you could try.
Expect to be rendered deaf for a short period after the experiment.
As always, fans have a limited life, cheap ones with plain bearings don't last as well as those with ball bearings but running them/it at high speed continuously will shorten their/its lifespan regardless of quality.

Solution