1333 --> 1866, is it worth the money?

XFA24

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2012
Currently, I am using a 2x4GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 CL9 ram kit on my pc and I am interested in upgrading my ram to an 1866 CL9 IF and ONLY IF it's worth the upgrade

I heard that it has very tiny impact on everyday applications but I am still considering on upgrading if it's worth it
So is it worth the upgrade?

My current specs are:
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690
GPU: MSI GTX 960 TwinFrozr 100ME
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB DDR3 1333 CL9
MB: Asus Z97M-Plus
PSU: Seasonic M12II 620W
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1Tb + Samsung Spinpoint F3 500Gb

What I do with my computer:
I always play some high end games on ultra and perhaps LoL, I rarely compress and extract files, I sometimes edit photos(noobly photoshopped photos), and of course it is very rare that I edit videos(and if I do edit videos in a noob manner, these are not the 1Gb+ files, it's more like below 300Mb)

And if it's not worth the upgrade to 1866, should I instead buy another 2x4Gb ram kit to make total of 16Gb(considering the way I use my PC) ram?

-thanks in advance!

Solution
1. Faster ram does not improve app times significantly.
Here is a report on ram scaling:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell

2. Check your hard page fault rate using windows task manager. My guess is that it is negligible indicating that you have sufficient ram.
Moreover,
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.
You would not be guaranteed a compatible upgrade.

3. I strongly suggest you buy a SSD...

XFA24

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2012

Naah, I don't know how to overclock rams and I might end up breaking it

is upgrading it to 4x4Gb 1333 worth it then?

1. Faster ram does not improve app times significantly.
Here is a report on ram scaling:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell

2. Check your hard page fault rate using windows task manager. My guess is that it is negligible indicating that you have sufficient ram.
Moreover,
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.
You would not be guaranteed a compatible upgrade.

3. I strongly suggest you buy a SSD. Prices are dropping. A ssd is one of the best general performance upgrades you can buy.
Intel and Samsung have migration utilities for their drives. Repurpose your hard drive for storage of large files such as videos and for backup.

Solution