7850 Voltage Crash

Shamar Holtz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
Hey guys,

I just received my 7850 for my gaming rig. I am gaming at 720p and am upgrading from a 7770

the problem is I wanted to play games at higher settings and all that, so i got a better card, But the 7850 isn't enough to max out a game like Shadow OF Mordor for example. So I decided to Overclock my 7850 like i did my 7770.

Everytime I change the voltage on my 7850 it will crash my computer and take me to a blue screen that has a bunch of words talking about memory dump or some bullshit. The stock voltage is at 1138 in MSi Afterburner. Even when I try to change it a little it would crash my whole PC, I can't even change the Core or Memory clock with the stock voltage since it's to damn low

Any ideas anyone? Oh yeah, and I did unlock the voltage control as well

Solution

So even back at stock settings it artefacts? Bring the clocks down further and find a spot where it does not.
Also what I found was that my memory at 1300mhz gave artefacting but bringing it down to 1250mhz stopped that.

Also if it's artefacting on a certain game or program but not others it could be the programs fault not your GPU, Also make sure your drivers are up to date ;)

Anonymouselite5

Distinguished
On my 7850 voltage worked correctly. Try using Sapphire Trixx instead, I found that was a little less buggy with my 7850 and voltage.

Although on stock voltage I managed 1050mhz on core, which is about average. With 1.25v I got 1135mhz which is quite low compared to the average. Even if you do bump that 7850 up the average people have gotten with 1.25v is around 1200mhz which is only 150mhz above my stock voltage overclocks.

Try Sapphire Trixx and post back any results here ;)

Shamar Holtz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
I used Trixx and it seemed to have let me get to 1.25v, I have been able to get mine to 1080mhz and mem to 1360mhz...IT runs games well, but I noticed it was artifacting! It is usually under 70c, I tried lowering the core clock, memory and voltage but it still remained there.

An ideas?

Anonymouselite5

Distinguished

So even back at stock settings it artefacts? Bring the clocks down further and find a spot where it does not.
Also what I found was that my memory at 1300mhz gave artefacting but bringing it down to 1250mhz stopped that.

Also if it's artefacting on a certain game or program but not others it could be the programs fault not your GPU, Also make sure your drivers are up to date ;)

Solution

Shamar Holtz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014

I re-installed the drivers and will try everything you suggested!

Shamar Holtz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
Okay!

I turned down the voltage from 1.25v to 1.20v, I turned down the Core clock from 1100mhz to 1050mhz and lowered the Mem CLock from 1400mhz to 1250mhz. At the previous settings which would cause artifacts my game would crash after about 30 minutes and would show flashing diamond shaped colors within that time period. At the lowed settings I didn't see any artifacts and I also didn't notice any performance changes (Which I thought was very odd, but i ain't complaining) So I guess that's fixed

So I played Crysis 3 on High settings with the GPu at 1100 Core and 1400mhz mem for 30 minutes and didn't notice ANY artifacts at all...

The game that was giving the card artifacts was Dying Light, Since I didn't see it on any other games I guess it only happens on Dying Light. I'll look for a patch or something

Razier

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
I personally think that 1.2v is a bit too high for such a mild overclock. Try to see if you can get the same at 1.180 which is what I'm using for 1075mhz.

Also, it seems like your memory is a bust since my memory runs at 1500mhz on 1.180. :I It's silicon lottery.

Anonymouselite5

Distinguished

hmmmm. If there's no performance difference there's no point. Was 1050mhz the furthest you could get with 1.2v? Your card doesn't seem very overclocking friendly :( The average 7850 gets 1050mhz on stock voltage.
Try keeping your card at 1.2v and if you haven't already push your memory and core clock up in small steps until you notice artefacting or crashes.

I agree with Razier, that voltage is not worth the extra mhz you gained.

-good luck

Zalphor

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2014

on my XFX 7850 1GB i dont get artifacting unless i exceed 1075 maybe 1090 core clock on stock volts. Its probably your memory.

To me the artifacts sound like they are resulting from your Memory clock. i noticed that if i pushed my memory past 1280MHz(and sometimes @ 1280MHz) It would start to Artifact. I dont have any kind of heatsink on my memory so it could be heat but i dont know how good of an idea it is to push your memory that far anyways(how did you get to 1400MHz memory????!).

on Another note i run my games @1080p with core set to 1000MHz and mem@1260MHz and usually get around 50fps(if not 60) in Dying Light.

I have noticed from running in crossfire and single card tests that Dying light does not really play well with AMD, i could change my Crossfire profiles in other games and get some performance if they dont support it, but in dying light i couldnt do anything but turn off crossfire and try and find a suitable speed for my gpu to run at. in which case i assume that the skips and stutters i got were from the lack of available memory.

Honestly after beating Dying Light i dont want to play it again, it seems like i get so much better performance from games that arent developed using hardware manufacturer specific software/engines.

and now i have noticed that this thread is from 2015....... well if your still using this card i guess this might help. if not maybe my little rant on memory will be usefull.