$1000 Gaming Build w/ Monitor & Peripherals

malynch7

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
After years of gaming on laptops (I work out of town frequently), I am ready to upgrade to a desktop (paired with an x205ta or similar for travel). Thoughts?

http://

Couple of questions:

1. Can I get away with a fx-6300 if I overclock with a 212 evo? I've seen Linus Tech Tips do this on a couple of builds, but I worry about bottlenecks with the 290. The money saved might even let me eek out a GTX 970 if worth it, and the "tinkerer" side of me is turned off by the locked cpu.

2. Is the R9 290 a worthy upgrade over the GTX 960/ R9 280x? If I'm overclocking, might this money be better spent elsewhere?

3. The motherboard is cheap and only has 4 phases for the cpu. Will this be a problem?

I am trying to keep everything under $1000

malynch7

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions, especially the monitors.

SSD seemed like a given to me as the last 2 laptops I've owned have had them. I know boot times aren't as important on a desktop, but wouldn't things feel perceptively slower if I went back to a mechanical drive? I don't have any need for all the storage since I have NAS. I also really like the feel of Logitech mice, and I'm not sure about the cm devastator combo.

If you want to use an SSD here is a good one:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($65.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $65.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-09 12:49 EDT-0400

I wouldn't recommend cutting back on any of the other parts though - doing this will have a pretty big cut in performance. If you want to cut out the HHD and only have an SSD i'd get either the 250 gb or 500gb model of this SSD.