i5 4590+ gtx 970 OR i7 4790 + gtx960

madnessdr

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015
Hi! Im new to the forum.signed up for this question.
Planning on playing GTA V, the witcher 3 and other future games..abit of short budget...
Thanku for reading.
:)
I5 4590 and gtx970 or i7 4790 and gtx960
8 gb ram,500gb HDD,500 psu, asus mobo b85 something, some thermalite heatsink (cheap one).

DasHotShot

Honorable
The setup you mention is very poorly optimised and doesn't put emphasis on the parts it should be.

Firstly, you should be looking at implementing an SSD drive, as this make s a huge difference, especially if you have a larger on for games like GTA or Witcher.

Secondly, you will need a higher power, good certification PSU to drive the system safely and to leave headroom for additional parts. go for 650w minimum.

Thirdly, the thermalite heatsink (cheap one) might be fine, however by not paying attention to what you are buying you are riskqing compatibility issues/space issues with ram sinks and poor cooling and baqd noise levels (high). You should pay more attention instead of being so half arsed about it.

Lastly, it is more important to have GFX power for games, not CPU: The i5 and 970 is DEFINITELY the best way to go here. No argument, no discussion about it.

Try and be a little more careful in your research and prep, rather than wishy washy to ensure you have a good experience

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

1) Although I love SSDs, it wont make any difference to Gaming performance, if thats the priority

2)No, a good 500w PSU is more than enough. 650w is
way overkill for this type of setup.

shawn81

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
When I upgraded my system...(incrementally) the biggest performance boosts I noted were when i got the SSHD and upgraded graphics. With those two there was a huge difference. There was a very noticeable difference when i went from a AMD Phenom II 565 BE to the AMD FX-Vishera 8350 BE too, but you'll NOTICE those performance boosts more in other areas....at least i do.

DasHotShot

Honorable

Oh, come off it. It will make a GIGANTIC difference in loading times and general system use. You have clearly never played GTA 5 before, as that game has early console day loading times. Same as Witcher will almost certainly have.

Games with 50GB + install have so many textures and files to load, that an SSD will dramatically reduce the time needed to complete these actions. There are many many such games out there that prove it and that is why this tech is the stnadard now.

The PSU thing, whatever. You can argue overkill, I am just coming from a quality assurance/headroom angle.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Dont disagree about loading times, and personally I wouldn't be without one, but for in game performance (FPS) it wont help.

A proper 500w still has a lot of headroom, a i5 + 970 full system will barely pull around 300-350w.

DasHotShot

Honorable

ONLY misinformation? You've lost it.

Maybe I should have expanded on my argument for more power from the PSU. By buying a 500w unit he is severely restricting the potential of his system, should he desire upgrading, to something more powerful down the road, to use it again i nthe next build, to go into SLI etc etc etc...so please. don't make wild accusations here.

As for the SSD, you can't possibly argue that it is not the single most noticeable upgrade to a system, from HDD to SSD...

In ANY application almost and for your boot times general file transfer times etc it makes a MOUNTAIN of a difference. Add up all the loading screens and you can real hours of time.

So yeah...misinformation. I don't think so man.

DasHotShot

Honorable

300-350w...yeah well, not under full load. Also, if he has a cheapy 500w supply it may not produce 500. Think about that.

So even if it only ever pulled 350 and his supply produced only that it coulkd be catastrophic for his system or he would at least suffer shutdowns all the time or not even boot in the first place.

It needs to be a REAL 500watt. That is all I am saying.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Actually 350w would pretty much be full load for a i5 +970 based system.

Yeah I agree, a proper 500w (as in 500w available on the 12v rail), good brand.

madnessdr

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015
UM...THANKU so much all.
I guess ill try buying ssd but its expensive and 120gb ssd wud nt be enough.The discussion went alittle away from my question but tthanks alot.
I5 4590 and gtx970 it is
U guyz.are Pros and know.so much... TThanku all

DubbleClick

Admirable

Almost only, I said. And the only one making wild accusations here is you.

Poorly optimized? What?

Wrong, it will not. Not in games' performance, which is what the topic is mostly about.

Wrong, a 350w psu is enough to power a gtx 970 + i5 4590, given no huge overclocks with voltage increases happen on the gpu. With a 400w psu he could add more hard drives or other expansions than any motherboard on the market could handle. There is no NEED for a 650w psu. I agree that quality is to look for, but it is certainly not required, as you made it out to be.

So you're coming strong on the OP who has asked for advice and blame him for "not paying attention" about what he has planned to buy. Compatibility issues with ram heat spreades and budget coolers? Noise level is certainly more than fine on a $10 aftermarket cooler on a stock i5. If the OP is half arsed, you're double arsed.

Bravo, you finally got something right - at least in this context!