220 power supply delema

Casually Majestic

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
So I have this problem. I need a new power supply as I have ordered a gigabyte gtx 970 while only having a 500w power supply (EVGA 500b bronze). So I need a new quality power supply before the card gets here, the only problem is that I live in Korea and rely on APO shipping (1-2 weeks shipping minimum). So my only choice is to buy a power supply locally. The good thing about that is that there is a huge computer component outlet near where I live, but that is where the delema comes in. The power supplies here all use the 220v plugin. I live on a USA army post here so all the buildings are wired for 110v plugins. So my question is, do I have to buy a power converter for the power supply to plug into the wall, or simply buy an adapter for the plug itself?

Solution
Most any Tier 1 or 2 unit on that list will have APFC which allows use of both power grids. The following link has more useful info on this, and some rants as well. Any unit you may buy should have a listing on it and you want it to say this:

100/240V, 50/60HZ.... The input voltage and operating input frequency must be very clear. The US input freq is 60HZ... EU's input freq is 50 HZ. Take note for example that there are other countries that operates 220VAC @ 60HZ and is not compatible with EU.

Here's the link. I'd read the whole thread and pay particular attention to what's said by hunter315 towards the end. It reads as follows:

Im a fourth year electrical engineering major, i am quite familiar with power factor and PF...
While that EVGA B1 series unit isn't the best around by a long shot, it's a tier 3 unit, your GTX 970 will run easily on the PSU you have. You don't NEED to get a new one unless the quality of the unit is your concern. We generally recommend Tier 1 or 2 units for high end cards like that, but if you're not overclocking anything, it's probably ok for now.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

PSU Tier list: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html#15349669

Casually Majestic

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014

I do plan on overclocking, I probably should have put that in my original post. That is the reason why I want a new power supply, not only do I want it to be more efficient but I want it to be modular as well. I was planning on going to the market with that tier list open on my phone. I was going to pick up a hyper 212 EVO as well to overclock my 4690k a bit. This is why I really wanted the power supply and why I need to know if the 220v plug is going to be a problem.

Most any Tier 1 or 2 unit on that list will have APFC which allows use of both power grids. The following link has more useful info on this, and some rants as well. Any unit you may buy should have a listing on it and you want it to say this:

100/240V, 50/60HZ.... The input voltage and operating input frequency must be very clear. The US input freq is 60HZ... EU's input freq is 50 HZ. Take note for example that there are other countries that operates 220VAC @ 60HZ and is not compatible with EU.

Here's the link. I'd read the whole thread and pay particular attention to what's said by hunter315 towards the end. It reads as follows:

Im a fourth year electrical engineering major, i am quite familiar with power factor and PF correction, and im not trying to say that the PF itself is why there is full range input. Allow me to explain better, its not the PF correction itself that provides the full range input, its the way its implemented using a boost converter. The controller of the converter senses the input voltage and adjusts the converter to provide a constant output voltage, the boost converter is selected so it can take an input between about 100V and 240V and still convert it up to the desired voltage, it has the benefit of also fixing the PF in the process, so while in most applications having Active PF Correction would not necessarily mean a full range input, the way its implemented in a computer PSU gives it a full range input as a side benefit, all PSUs with active PFC have full range inputs with no additional circuitry required.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/305925-28-power-supply-compatible

Solution