Anything over a FX-6300 is a waste of money, especially gaming?

stchman

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
I have been doing a little reading and it seems to be a popular opinion that if you are going to build an AMD based system right now that anything over an FX-6300 might be a waste of money. I built a budget secondary gaming system on the FX-6300 recently and wondered should I have gotten say an 8350 or an 8370. It appears that I chose wisely. It looks like anything over $100 for an AMD CPU, you might as well go with an Intel CPU.

With all this being said, the FX-6300 in my secondary system appears to run very well for the tasks I give it.

Solution
Very few games scale beyond 6 threads. There are a few but the gap is usually pretty small. When FX CPUs stumble it's not because they don't have enough cores, it's because one or two cores is getting very heavy load... that happens in some cases whether you have a FX-4300, 6300 or 8350.

Unless you do a lot of video editing or something, yeah anything beyond the FX-6300 isn't really worth it. The FX-6300 is alright, Intel i3 does about the same or better (depending on the game... about the same in something like BF4, a lot better in something like World of Warcraft).

Kitt Sue

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015
Very few games scale beyond 6 threads. There are a few but the gap is usually pretty small. When FX CPUs stumble it's not because they don't have enough cores, it's because one or two cores is getting very heavy load... that happens in some cases whether you have a FX-4300, 6300 or 8350.

Unless you do a lot of video editing or something, yeah anything beyond the FX-6300 isn't really worth it. The FX-6300 is alright, Intel i3 does about the same or better (depending on the game... about the same in something like BF4, a lot better in something like World of Warcraft).

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would agree with that when comparing to Intel. Though in specific cases like video editing or other general processing tasks the FX8320-8370 are good budget choices.

For pure gaming the FX6300 is on par, most of the time, with an Intel i3 which is a little more expensive.