1,400 errors after 1 memtest86 pass; G.SKILL blows

jaester

Reputable
Mar 2, 2015
So about 2 weeks ago, my computer would restart randomly, and I would come home to find a message on the screen stating "Windows recovered from an unexpected shutdown". Today, I actually witnessed the BSOD, and took a picture and some notes.
The BSOD says "irql_gt_zero_at_system_service 0x4a"

So I run memtest86, and ONE PASS FOUND 1,400 ERRORS! WTAF!

I have a screenshot of the BSOD and the memtest86 1-pass result, as well.

My ram is G.SKILL F3-1600C9-8G. It has a lifetime warranty. Is it possible to 2 bad sticks? Should I RMA both of them now?

lUGILLR.jpg

B1Uc2bI.jpg

Solution
With Memtest results it tells you what stick or if both are bad. You need to get new ram anyhow. If they have been oc'd reset them to stock speed and try again. http://www.memtest86.com/

jaester

Reputable
Mar 2, 2015
How do I know which ram and/or if both sticks are bad? Is it after the test? The test is still running, because I chose an 8-pass test. Should I cancel the test prematurely at this point?

jaester

Reputable
Mar 2, 2015
Tradesman1, MSI GD65 Z77 and a 3770K @ 4.0ghz.

My CPU is overclocked, but my ram isn't. I do have XMP enabled, should I disable before running the test again?

IntelTurtleFan, is there a setting in memtest86 to just analyze a stick individually or do I have to open up my case and pull a stick out?

Btw, the errors only show up during test 13, the Hammer Test.

jaester

Reputable
Mar 2, 2015
Update:

Sent the G.SKILL for an RMA. Ordered and installed a 16GB kit of HyperX(HX318C9SRK2/16), setup 4 passes, and the kit passed with flying colors. ZERO errors after 4:03:13.

tuu1Nla.jpg

I am keeping the HyperX kit, cut my losses and sell off the G.SKILL. You know that old adage "You get what you pay for?" Never again, G.SKILL. You have lost a customer for life.

Just to be sure, I am going to run an 8 pass test on my new kit. I'm confident that I will get the same results. I'm so lucky that the root of the problem wasn't my mobo or CPU. Cheers!