Solved

Best Aftermarket GPU coolers?

Hi Tomshardware, I'm looking for two Sapphire R9 290 aftermaket coolers. I'm in need of these because my top card runs at 82C while gaming for long periods and is super load. I'd like my PC to keep nice and quite. I've got a full size PC case so case size doesn't matter.

Thanks so much for all help, George.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about aftermarket gpu coolers
  1. Best answer
    Well the top card will always run warmer than the bottom card in an SLI setup. Arctic Cooling has some great, and very silent, coolers but they are larger in size. They also require some skill/guts to install as you have to take apart your old cooler to put the new one on. I have done this on numerous Nvidia video cards and been very please with the cooling and silent running.

    http://www.arctic.ac/us_en/accelero-xtreme-iv-280-x.html
  2. ahnilated said:
    Well the top card will always run warmer than the bottom card in an SLI setup. Arctic Cooling has some great, and very silent, coolers but they are larger in size. They also require some skill/guts to install as you have to take apart your old cooler to put the new one on. I have done this on numerous Nvidia video cards and been very please with the cooling and silent running.

    http://www.arctic.ac/us_en/accelero-xtreme-iv-280-x.html


    Thanks so much for the reply, I'm going to look through their website now and see what's in my price range and what I like. How will I know what ones with fit my GPU? And I've also gotten lots of friends who will be willing to install them for me. (They know alot about computes)
  3. A h55 with a g10 bracket and gelid vrm heatainks, the only issue is finding a place to mount the two 120mm rads in places they will reach. I have tried it myself with a 500r case.

    g10 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835146038&cm_re=g10-_-35-146-038-_-Product

    h55 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181029&cm_re=h55-_-35-181-029-_-Product

    vrm heatsinks - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426042&cm_re=gelid_290-_-35-426-042-_-Product
  4. disturbed force said:
    A h55 with a g10 bracket and gelid vrm heatainks, the only issue is finding a place to mount the two 120mm rads in places they will reach. I have tried it myself with a 500r case.

    g10 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835146038&cm_re=g10-_-35-146-038-_-Product

    h55 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181029&cm_re=h55-_-35-181-029-_-Product

    vrm heatsinks - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426042&cm_re=gelid_290-_-35-426-042-_-Product


    Nice, nice one question. What's the Heatsink for and where do you need to install it?
  5. The heatsinks are for the VRM's and they go under the g10 bracket http://imgur.com/bcn67Kt .
  6. Hi George002000, a few questions:
    Are both your R9 290s Tri-x?
    How close together are they? (can you provide a photo?)
    What fans are installed in the case, and where are they installed?

    Maybe all you need to do is move the fans around to improve or redirect their airflow to help, swapping a pair of GPU coolers is going to be expensive and will void the warranty.
    Arctic Cooling use thermal glue (epoxy to be precise) to permanently bond the memory and VRM heatsinks into place so once the job is done, there's no going back.
  7. coozie7 said:
    Hi George002000, a few questions:
    Are both your R9 290s Tri-x?
    How close together are they? (can you provide a photo?)
    What fans are installed in the case, and where are they installed?

    Maybe all you need to do is move the fans around to improve or redirect their airflow to help, swapping a pair of GPU coolers is going to be expensive and will void the warranty.
    Arctic Cooling use thermal glue (epoxy to be precise) to permanently bond the memory and VRM heatsinks into place so once the job is done, there's no going back.


    Yes very sorry, I didn't explain well in my starter. I'm only looking for a cooler for the top card as it runs load while long-time gaming and reaches 88C. My bottom card is no need for an aftermarket cooler as it's always quite and never over-heats. I've also looked at fan setups and it seems I'm using the best setup out their.
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs Cooling Cases