fx 8320 vs fx 6300

tcruz

Reputable
Apr 5, 2015
So I'm currently in the process of building my first PC and I'm wondering if I should go with an 8 core (8320) or a 6 core (6300) CPU? I won't be doing any video rendering or live streaming but I do do a lot of music production with programs such as ableton and fl studio. I also play heaps of games including BF4, Gta 5, Far Cry 4, and Skyrim (w/ mods) just to name a few. I know most games only use 2-6 cores and sometimes 8 (rarely), so my main question is: is it worth spending a little bit more on the 8320 for those 8 cores for future proofing or are 6 cores sufficient for now considering I do not do a lot of CPU intensive activities on my PC? P.S. sorry for the long post :p

Solution
Honestly for what you're doing I would get an Intel i3 or i5. Performance for the majority of games will be better than an FX CPU, and music production doesn't require a beefy CPU so there's no need for heavy multithreaded CPUs like FX-8350 or i7.

But if you have your heart set on an AMD chip, just get the FX-6300.. save some money for other parts of your build as the extra 2 threads won't get used much, and you can overclock the FX-6300 if you want... with the FX-8320 if you want to overclock it much you need a pretty solid motherboard (6+2 phase design minimum), which would end up costing a good bit more.

Kitt Sue

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015
Honestly for what you're doing I would get an Intel i3 or i5. Performance for the majority of games will be better than an FX CPU, and music production doesn't require a beefy CPU so there's no need for heavy multithreaded CPUs like FX-8350 or i7.

But if you have your heart set on an AMD chip, just get the FX-6300.. save some money for other parts of your build as the extra 2 threads won't get used much, and you can overclock the FX-6300 if you want... with the FX-8320 if you want to overclock it much you need a pretty solid motherboard (6+2 phase design minimum), which would end up costing a good bit more.

Solution