i5-650 Overclocking Asrock H55M-LE

DeejayCookee

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015
Hey guys!

I decieded to overclock my cpu, i have i5-650 CPU and Asrock H55M-LE motherboard, which has OC Tweak session in it's BIOS. I thought it's easy and simple just to set "Load CPU EZ OC Setting" for it's first frequency setting, 3.7 Ghz. It was good when i played games like CS GO i got 20-30 more FPS, but it was unstable sometimes there was random FPS drops, that was not before. At this frequency all programs loaded slowly not like when the CPU was at it's base frequency (3,2 Ghz). I thought if 3.7 Ghz has made more FPS what if i change "Load CPU EZ OC Setting" to the next setting 3.8 Ghz. It was better at all, the programs were loaded faster, more stable FPS. But at 3.8 Ghz setting the programs are crashed after 5-10 minutes using. I ask you guys what is the good OC setting for my CPU?

My PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-650
http://
MB: Asrock H55M-LE
http://
PSU: Chieftec CTG-600-80P (600 W)
RAM: CSX 4GB (CSXO-D3-LO-1333-4GB)

Now I tried 3.8 Ghz

The CPU Clock Multiplier is 22 if the OC Tweaker set it automatically, i change it too 21 and count the BCKL frequency (180), lower my RAM OC from 1440 to 1416. But during i wrote this thread Google Chrome crashed once. So i didn't find it myself.

(Sorry if i made any grammar mistakes in this thread :))

Solution
You may need to bump up the voltage on your CPU a little bit to get things stable. EZ OC settings don't work for everyone, it could be you got a CPU that needs a bit more voltage to remain stable beyond stock clocks. You could also have issues with your BCLK being too high and also causing stability problems, it's why usually when overclocking Clarkdale/Lynnfield CPUs you drop the CPU multiplier to as low as it will go and run tests with different BCLK settings until you find the maximum stable value, and then you start increasing the multiplier to go past the CPU's stock speed and test for stability of the CPU.

Another thing to consider is that you have a very poor quality power supply, Chieftec units are basically junk, and have...
You may need to bump up the voltage on your CPU a little bit to get things stable. EZ OC settings don't work for everyone, it could be you got a CPU that needs a bit more voltage to remain stable beyond stock clocks. You could also have issues with your BCLK being too high and also causing stability problems, it's why usually when overclocking Clarkdale/Lynnfield CPUs you drop the CPU multiplier to as low as it will go and run tests with different BCLK settings until you find the maximum stable value, and then you start increasing the multiplier to go past the CPU's stock speed and test for stability of the CPU.

Another thing to consider is that you have a very poor quality power supply, Chieftec units are basically junk, and have issues with providing clean power when put under heavy loads. Overclocking will increase your CPU power consumption, and if your power supply can't handle it well, it can cause problems.

Solution