$1000 tower PC but still can't run games on low. [Please help]

Skyhawk_

Reputable
Dec 5, 2014
So its been about 2 years since I bought this pc from acer named TC-603 with these specs: http://gyazo.com/25f1d263cb9e850de1d37e493b85fcfa and It bothers me how I have to really scale down my settings in order to get just about 40 frames in games like bf3 with horrible settings like 800x600 res and ultra low settings and it infuriates me after watching this video where someone with the same card able to play bf4 just fine with an acceptable res and decent frames [Link]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qvGeAR_IzA .

Now I understand that my graphics card is a bit crappy but is that soley the reason why? I've downloaded the latest drivers and it made no difference. I mean surely my ram and cpu can help me out here? Yes I've heard of the term bottlenecking but to be honest I am bit of a pc newbie so I may be missing out on something obvious here.

I'm sure back when bf3 released people would have worse specs than mine and be able to run bf3 just fine. And just to clarify, I am using the utmost low settings you can use in bf3.

What else? Well I doubt there is a build / placement issue of the card as acer has built the pc and I've never opened my pc up before. Oh and one last thing you might need to know is that my graphics card might be a chipset (not sure though) (not sure either if it makes a difference)

Finally, If it is actually my graphics card, what do I need to consider when looking for an upgrade?
thanks a lot for reading and any help would be extremely appreciated!

Solution
Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. For all we know the video could be fake. With this combo you'll be going from low settings at 800x600 to ultra at 1080p 60fps.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $234.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-17 18:42 EDT-0400

Make sure the graphics card will fit. It's 11.61" long.

Also while you wait you for the upgrade to arrive you could try removing the GT 625 and using the integrated...

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
It's your graphics card. The GT 245 isn't meant for gaming and it's no surprise it's struggling. It's the bottleneck of your system. Even replacing it with a cheap card like a GTX 750ti your gaming experience will go up tenfold. You could try updating your graphics card drivers and checking for temperature problems, but I highly suggest to replace it. The rest of the system's potential is gone to waste with that GT 625.

If you gave us a budget we could suggest an upgrade. You might need a new PSU as well, as the highest card I would run with your current PSU is the GTX 750ti.

Skyhawk_

Reputable
Dec 5, 2014
THanks a lot! But what about that youtube video I linked? How come he could run it smoothly? and yeah my budget is probably about 200 dollars at max, maybe even 250

Jared_Waldron

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013

If your budget is $200, buy a good EVGA GTX 960.

Skyhawk_

Reputable
Dec 5, 2014

Thanks, but any answers on the video?

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. For all we know the video could be fake. With this combo you'll be going from low settings at 800x600 to ultra at 1080p 60fps.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $234.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-17 18:42 EDT-0400

Make sure the graphics card will fit. It's 11.61" long.

Also while you wait you for the upgrade to arrive you could try removing the GT 625 and using the integrated Intel HD 4600 graphics your i7 has. From benchmarks it seems to be more powerful.

Solution

Skyhawk_

Reputable
Dec 5, 2014

Thanks a lot mate really appreciate it. and is there any thing else I need to consider before buying this combo other than spacing?