CF R9 290 (and new mobo) OR 980?

jonnyboy6969

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014
I'm at an impasse. I currently have i7 4770k, R9 290, 12 GB RAM, Asus z87-k mobo. I game at 1080p and downsample from 1440p every chance I get.

I'm at the point of the items are already in the cart. I'm debating an R9 290 Crossfire set up. Problem is my motherboard will only run that set up at 3.0 x8, 2.0 x4. Given I could lose 10% of my performance boost with that (or more, or less) I would definitely buy a new mobo. I'm set on Asus z-97-A with USB 3.1. That comes in at $480. ALSO, I have Windows 7 OEM so I'm skeptical of Microsoft being a decent corporation and giving me a pass on a new mobo. But then I think, I could buy a single 980 for $550, NOT buy a new motherboard, get Witcher 3 for free which I JUST pre ordered on GOG that I could easily get a refund for for $50. (at $500 for 980 now) and could sell my existing Gigabyte R9 290 for $200 or so realistically. So I'd be spending $300 for a 980. It may not be as much performance boost in most games 15% instead of 30% (though that will push me out of high 40's in most games to 60 fps, I use AA a lot) or so but it has an upgrade path in the future. It also saves me headaches of Crossfire compatibility. I play all range of games (250+ on Steam) so I'm pretty diverse in what types of games I play. I'm also sort of tired of AMD cards. I miss Nvidia Experience and Phys-X working more efficiently (Play Mafia 2, Metro Redux) and sort of want the less sound and heat (power isn't factor, 1050w psu.)

So my question is given my particular situation what do you guys think is the best option for me. I mean, I'm pretty much aware of all pro and cons I just really want some opinions.

ps. What sucks even more is I JUST built my brother a rig and could have sold him my motherboard (bought him exact one, he's light gamer) OR my gpu for $200 which he paid for new R9 280. Either way I'm biting dust on that situation.

jonnyboy6969

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014

Thanks for you help. I ended up just buying a second R9 290 and a new Z97 chipset motherboard. That way I'll be set for an upgraded Haswell in a year and a half. Ended up not feeling like going through selling a gpu. Will just donate my existing Z87 motherboard to a friend. Again, thanks for the suggestion. It was a good one. But not all that much gain for 290X CF on a single board over 290 CF to spend that much more money, not get a new motherboard and have to sell my gpu.