FX 8350 lag spikes problem

FranzRodriguez

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015
Hello,

I've been getting some problems with my new CPU, the Fx 8350, games and apps like Sony Vegas are getting lag spikes...

This is my PC:
AMD Fx 8350 (not oc) STOCK FAN
ASUS M5A78L-M LX3
PNY GeForce GTX 750 ti
8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz
450watts power supply that came with my Thermaltake v2 plus case.

I already made some posts on some forums (tom's hardware included) the people that helped me, told me that it was my board, it wasnt good enough for a Fx 8350... But I don't think that this is the problem...

I've been checking my PC temperature with Speccy and this is what happens:

When the CPU temp is trying to reach 59 °C, the games start lagging (10-15 fps), while this happen the CPU fan increases it speed til' the CPU temp is 35-40 °C ~, when this proccess is done, the game stops lagging, but it happens like every minute...

I've tried:

Disabling AMD Cool'n'Quiet
Disabling AMD Turbo function
Disabling AMD Core6 function

Nothing worked... leaves to say that I only run 1-2 apps at the time, I dont play and use internet and listen music at the sime time...

So what would you recommend me? Is there any way to increase CPU fan speed? Is there any other thing I can disable in BIOS to stop this? The last thing I want to do, is buying a new CPU fan, so lets try it all before it.

Regards :)

Solution
You don't believe the motherboard is the issue, but have you used AMD Overdrive to make sure the CPU doesn't throttle? Since your motherboard does not support your 125W PSU, the VRMs definitely overheat and they cause throttling. Slow the CPU down to 3.2 or 3.4 GHz and let us know if the issue still occurs.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A78LM_LX3/HelpDesk_CPU/ As you can see, it supports 95W maximum processors.
You don't believe the motherboard is the issue, but have you used AMD Overdrive to make sure the CPU doesn't throttle? Since your motherboard does not support your 125W PSU, the VRMs definitely overheat and they cause throttling. Slow the CPU down to 3.2 or 3.4 GHz and let us know if the issue still occurs.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A78LM_LX3/HelpDesk_CPU/ As you can see, it supports 95W maximum processors.

Solution