Would a i3-4160 bottleneck a gtx 970?

MrPomato

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
I am going to upgrade my gpu and a lot of my friends say that my hardware will bottleneck. however, i have looked online and saw that a i3 4160 with a 980 did not bottleneck and gave relatively similar performance(1-5 fps difference), my question is will there be a bottleneck?

Solution
First slap your friends upside the head.
Don't listen about a bottleneck that word should be wiped out of existence.
In CPU intensive games that use more than 2 cores fairly well it will hurt some, but in most games your processor is just fine.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
First slap your friends upside the head.
Don't listen about a bottleneck that word should be wiped out of existence.
In CPU intensive games that use more than 2 cores fairly well it will hurt some, but in most games your processor is just fine.

Solution
Yeah Zurk2012 answered it. I agree that bottleneck is a commonly (annoyingly) misused term these days. In games that need a strong quadcore you will have less performance over an i7/i5. The i3 does however give you 2 strong cores. That is why the i3 (and celeron sometimes) can hang with the FX 8 cores.

MOAR cores, does not = more performance.

My buddy who primarly plays GTA V with his rig recently upgraded from an i3 to an i7 (gtx 680 gpu) and claims higher fps and smoother overall performance.

The article that Tom's released basically said that there is a 1-3 fps difference between i5 and i7 regarding GTA V gameplay.

SIDE NOTE: This is bad forum design that me (a non OP) can "pick as the solution"! This is not a smart paradigm.