Non-OC FX-6300 with Hyper 212 EVO getting hot?

leftisthominid

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
In January, I installed a Hyper 212 EVO on my stock-clocked FX-6300. I have never gotten around to overclocking it.

When I first installed it, while under light use (i.e., avast running, browsing the internet, listening to music, etc.), the thermal margin in AMD Overdrive (i.e., the amount of heat it can generate before danger, NOT actual temperature) generally stuck around 50-60°C with occasional spikes to ~45°C when avast started doing things in the background. When gaming (I used AC Unity numbers as that is the most CPU taxing game I have), the margins (displayed on my second monitor) would drop down to 35-40°C.

Over the course of this semester, I didn't do much PC gaming due to time constraints and other factors. As of late, I've noticed that my light use thermal margins have shift down a few degrees, generally staying in the 45-56°C (with occasional spikes to ~40°C when avast starts doing things in the background). Also weirdly, last night I noticed it would spike a little more on occasion when opening Firefox and Chrome at the same time (i.e., ~33°C), not sure why (I'll look into it some more later). Under load when running AC Unity and then Skyrim, the numbers stuck between 30-40°C.

Ignoring the spikes into the 30°s, there is a roughly 5°C shift. I was wondering, what could be causing the shift in the numbers, and are these numbers normal?

Just for contextual information, in January my apartment temperature was around ~73°F, and these days it is around 78°F. Also, these recent numbers are after briefly (albeit not thoroughly) dusting my system with compressed air.

Solution
Ambient temps around the machine can make a noticeable difference. I'd say those temps aren't bad though, you're no where near risking damage to the CPU.

neiliohep

Honorable
Jan 2, 2015
www.youtube.com
Those temps aren't that bad dude, all I can say is make sure you have decent case cooling, put in a better fan..or an extra one, and make sure you properly apply your thermal paste, not to much and not to little. Also use a good thermal paste to begin with, for example arctic silver 5 is decent. :)

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

I run Prime95 on my 6300, 8320, various apu's, 860K etc... Get the Thermal Margin into the low single digits. Stop worrying. Ambient temps do make a big difference. I was using a computer in my basement. My 6300 @4.8 GHz. Brought it up stairs where its warmer and I had to dial it back to 4.6 GHz.