(£2000-£2500) Entirely New Build for a Novice Builder

Iodrix

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Hi everyone. I apologise in advance for a little backstory, but I feel it is somewhat justified - and don't want to be ripped to shreds for people thinking that I'm visiting the bank of mum and dad.

My name is James and I'm a 22 year old medical student currently studying in London. Sadly, my mum was diagnosed with terminal bone cancer 2 years ago and she and I were informed that she had a maximum of 3 years to live. As time has gone on her mobility is now non-existent, and she cannot leave the house. She needs help with shopping and almost all of the activities of daily living that we all take for granted. Sadly, I am an only child and my mum left my father when I was ~1 year old - Let me tell you, it's bloody hectic to balance a challenging degree with having to commute back home almost every day to take care of your ailing mother. Anyway, thankfully, I find a solace in gaming (as I'm sure many of you do).

My mum, Debbie, has always been very kind and compassionate, and we're coming up to the point where she won't be with us for much longer. To say thank you, she's gifted me some of her last remaining capital (£1000) to combine with my £1000-£1500, to build a gaming PC. I'm very fortunate to have had such an empathic and lovely woman to call my mum, and I know that she just wants me to be left with a gift to really remember her by.

Approximate Purchase Date: Between now and the release of the GTX 980Ti

Budget Range: £2000-£2500 all-in

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, media, general tasks.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Entire system build

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Open to suggestion

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Nvidia graphics cards

Overclocking: Yes (watched alot of tutorials, although no practical experience - I apologise)

SLI: Yes

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, ?4K at a latter date

Additional Comments:

I've never built a PC before, but I've installed graphics cards, fans and RAM. I'm a pretty quick learner (possibly due to the tribulations of medicine!), and am very keen to build the PC, and perhaps incorporate water cooling.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading:
I'm currently running a rig with dual 680s, a core i7 3770k with 16gb RAM. That said, the old girl is really starting to struggle gaming at 60fps on max settings (GTA V, Atilla:Total War).

I've gotten very used to gaming at 60fps solid, on max settings, and so the PC I want to invest in needs to cream games for now, and the next few years. I'm very keen for GTX 980s, but unsure whether or not to wait for the Ti's coming out, and I'm pretty set on the i7 5930k. I've heard that DX12 will allow SLI VRAM sharing, so perhaps the Ti's would be unnecessary?

Thank you for any help that you guys can give. I'm a total novice in the 'build-it-yourself' camp, but I'm very, very keen to learn.

Solution
How does this look?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9XFFrH
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9XFFrH/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($542.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($439.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($510.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($131.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($610.00 @ Newegg)...
You don't need a new PC, its already a beast, just upgrade the graphics cards in your current one.

Swap the 680's for 980's, spend the rest on monitors, speakers or whatever. If you want to spend the cash on something symbolic, make a compute rig that you dedicate to running Folding@Home or BOINC.

Iodrix

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
There won't be any bottlenecking at all, from the CPU? I'm already kitted out on periphrals - 52' screen, 5.1 surround. I absolutely see your point re diffused computing, but some of mums legacy is already dedicated to charity when the house sells. That, and she wants to spend the money on something meaningful for me personally. Sorry if it comes across as arrogant - it's not meant to. It's been such an awful situation - waking up most mornings at 3 listening to the woman that worked as an intensive care nurse for 30 years crying in pain at the thought of another day, now unable to even get out the house. I think the reason she wants to spend the money on something tangible and direct for me is that she feels she has been a burden. She hasn't, not really. I adore her, and its my duty, but she is steadfast.

Gaming doesn't demand much from the CPU typically, with most games being far more reliant on GPU horsepower than CPU. Those games where the CPU is the bottleneck to performance, typically are the games that are going to run well no matter what (talking League of Legends, Dota, Team Fortress, WoW, games designed to run on tinfoil bent into the shape of a GPU basically).

Even if you have a CPU intensive game, your rocking an Ivy Bridge i7, mainstream CPU's havent really gone anywhere since Sandy Bridge and aren't likely too anytime soon. The 5930k brings more cores, but that only matter in professional workloads, games care about Ghz, not cores.

I dont know what you should do with the money, but I am saying that to upgrade your gaming experience you dont need to build a whole new system. Slap two 980's into there and it will do whatever you could want, especially if your running at 1080p 60hz.

TerabyteTech

Honorable
Apr 25, 2015
How does this look?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9XFFrH
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9XFFrH/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($542.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($439.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($510.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($131.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($610.00 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($610.00 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($86.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $3485.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-30 17:41 EDT-0400

Solution

Iodrix

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
I appreciate your answer Tea Urchin, and manofchalk also, but I do disagree with you about gaming PCs past a grand. The last PC which I bought 4 years ago cost £1800, and it still runs wonderfully well for an enthusiast. But it cannot hold 60fps solid on modern games at max settings. I grant you, I could buy a £1k PC today, and probably obtain 60FPS in games released this year (but solidly? with AA? In ALL situations). But next year? From experience of friend's builds, recent £1k builds are simply not enough for 60fps solid in all situations.

I also appreciate your advice with regard to stashing money away, but that's simply not an option. I don't want to go in to details as to why, but suffice to say, mum will not be with me for much longer and assets in this case is financially more sound than banking. Also, I'm very lucky in that I've got a nice car, a flat that I pay rent for (and a house I'm going to inherit..... I'm very blessed for 22, however, I'd much rather have a mum who sees me get married to my current girlfriend, and our kids one day.). That, and I'm 2 years away from graduating medicine, which hopefully will see me through for the long run. I do appreciate your advice though.