2 980's 3 panels what ports do I use?

Articxslack

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
Just 20 minutes ago, I ordered 2 GTX 980's to replace my 2 770's. I only had 1 monitor and used DVI to connect it. Recently investing in 3 new 1080p monitors, i'm confused what CONNECTIONS TO use. Being my cards will be in SLI, won't I be forced to use the top card? The cards each have 3 display port, 1 HDMI and 1 DVI. My monitors can do DVI and HDMI. What configuration should I use to plug in my monitors? [They all the same model] Like I asked what connections will give me the best performance at 1080p and will give NO color or frame difference. Thanks <3

[PS: Is it a good idea to just use the existing DVI port on the top 980 and use 2 DISPLAY port to DVI and have all my panels coming off the top card?]

My full build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xVcNFT
More about : 980 sli ports monitors

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished

AFAIK, there really should be no difference in image quality between DVI, HDMI and Displayport at 1080p / 60 Hz. You could use 1 of each connection, where you'll have to use a Displayport to HDMI adapter for the third monitor.

If you're really worried about it, then just get 3 Displayport to HDMI adapters and connect them all that way.

iamacow

Admirable
The choice of cables won't give you a color difference unless you have 10bit monitors (aka pro ones / 1 billion colors) and than you have to use Displayport or it will be only 8bit (aka 16.7million colors). Otherwise that won't make a difference. what will however is if you buy different brands and or batches of monitors, than you have to buy a color calibrator that run about $300 (the ones that supports multiple profiles.