legoflamb

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
Hi guys I'm running:

Intel dp55wb mobo
r9 280
corsair tx650 psu

Just updated bios to latest version.

Had some troubles getting any signal from the card and when I put it back in today I got signal but it loads the splash screen for the motherboard where it tells you how to get into settings etc but it's just frozen and doesn't do anything else and you can't enter settings with F2 etc...

Shall I just return the card or is there something simple I'm missing that will make it work?

The r9 280 does have a little switch on the side which makes no difference in either position.

Thanks!

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished

Are the PCI-E power connectors securely attached to the card?

legoflamb

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
Hi guys thanks for the replies

Yeah all cords are connected properly

My BIOS for the mobo is updated as of yesterday

This mono doesn't have onboard gfx and my old hd 5830 is back in now and its working so it should be setup fine for pci-e

It doesn't sound like the computer is loading or anything when it displays the splash screen - looks like its idly just sat and unresponsive

Grimwinder

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
Yes, I saw you updated the BIOS, did you also update the chipset drivers? Two different things.

Edit: And just FYI, the switch on the side of the video card is to allow the use/loading of two different BIOS's for the card itself.

legoflamb

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
I overlooked the drivers - just doing that now.

That switch doesn't seem to make any difference what position its in but coincidentally when I played with it for the first time I did get a picture but now regardless of position i get a picture but it won't boot past the splash screen

Grimwinder

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
Normally you wouldn't notice much difference between the 2 card BIOSs, assuming they are factory installed. Depending on the manufacturer, the 2nd BIOS is usually just a slightly tweaked up version of their standard BIOS that allows things like more overclocking options. It also allows people to "play" with new or tweaked BIOSs by letting you have a back-up to switch back too if anything goes wrong.

legoflamb

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
Ah right - I thought it was something to do with windows 8 compatibility. Like one BIOS for win7 and one for win8.

OK tried the card again. With updated chip set and it still did the same thing.

Grimwinder

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
ah heck. Well, reading around, there are a few posts out there with people having issues with R series cards booting on that specific motherboard, but not a lot of solutions. What brand is your card? A couple of folks seemed to have issues with Gigabyte cards that went away when they changed to another brand. In theory the parts you list should work together, but it might simply be a compatibility issue between that card and that board.

legoflamb

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
The one I've bought is made by vtx.

I wish I'd have thought about this before I bought it or found info about my particular mobo when it first didn't work so I could have saved some time.

I've seen a few people mentioning drivers - is it worth removing them for the old card and installing the new ones before changing the cards?

Thanks for all your help so far!

You can try hitting f8 a lot after the bios splash screen to see if you can get into windows safe mode. Safe mode loads generic plug and play vga drivers.

legoflamb

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
Forgot to mention when its frozen after a few keyboard presses every button on the keyboard makes the internal speaker beep.

Control alt del makes it restart.

I'm scared to buy another gfx card now I just wanted a cheeky little upgrade for gta v so I can have the bells and whistles - I didn't realise it would end up meaning I needed a whole new computer

Grimwinder

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
A couple of more obscure things you can try is adjusting your PCI-e settings in the BIOS, two to try (one at a time)-

Advanced>Chipset Configuration Menu> PCI-e Burn-in Mode
Overclock your PCI-e frequency a bit. Default is 100.0, you can try raising it a bit, most overclocking boards say anything up to 107.0 is fine for everyday use.

Advanced>PCI Express Configuration Menu>PCI-e x16 Link Retrain
Try Enabled or GFX Card, these settings increase the time the machine looks for and attempts to utilize a card.

If these cause other issues and you cannot get back into BIOS to reset them, reset your CMOS with either the jumper, if the board has one, or by removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes, this will reset your BIOS to default.

legoflamb

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
I think you were right about the compatibility - issue.

I think there's sufficient evidence from other users that it might just be the board I've got.
I'm not sure I'm brave enough to over clock or cause other problems.

I guess I need a different card but I want to know its going to work before I buy it!

My computer is quite old now though maybe I should just think about sorting a new one out