1333 vs 1600vs 1866 more mhz ram can give more fps?

Performance is heavily dependent on how each game uses system memory.

Generally, might get on average 5 ~ 6 % improvement in performance using 1600 MHz memory instead of 1333 MHz memory.

And might get on average ~ 9 % improvement in performance using 1866 MHz memory instead of 1333 MHz memory.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
As Brisspus said, it all depends on the game and how well it utilizes DRAM for price to performance right now in say gaming 1866/2133 is the sweetspot for Intel (and keep eyes open for 2400 deals), 1866 for AMD and if a higher end FX maybe 2133

Skyline2004

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

Tradesman1 is right. I have a similar issue here. I am running my system with 12gb ram(Kingston 1333) and an FX 6350@ 3,9 Ghz with GTX760.
Sometimes in some games I am experiencing unstable fps and small bursts of low and high fps. I wanted to upgrade my ram stick by stick but I think it's a money loss since there are kits available from Corsair (32gb and 16gb @ 2133. 1866...etc) even if it's CL 10 wont be much of a difference i guess. I understand for FX, 1866 freq. of RAM is a standard.
I believe I will go for that or if any1 has a better solution.

Shoaib Casseem

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
no, speed of ram doesn't really matter while gaming. The MHZ focusses more on virtualization. Using a 1866 mhz you might get more fps than a 2133 mhz. So don't mind on the ram speed.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

That depends on the game and the individual in some games gains of 10+ percent are seen going from one data rate to another

Skyline2004

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

Good advice, thank you! I think my solution is strip all 3 sticks of 4gb ram(1333) and install the new ones I want to buy which is: 2 sticks of 8 GB DDR3-1866MHz Kingston HyperX Black Fury.
I found this one not in a bundle but sold separately. I believe it wont matter if they are 2 pcs of same model and able to work dual channel . Right ?

Maybe. Depends on how close the DIMM's characteristics are to each other. Each DIMM has its own unique characteristics. If characteristics are close enough, dual channel operation may be achieved. But, if not close enough, then maybe only single channel operation would be possible. In the worst case, if the DIMM characteristics are too dissimilar, the computer may not even boot.

Skyline2004

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

I believe it won't be too much of a difference since I will buy 2 pcs of Identical products/speed/freq/memory. I was curious although if you buy a kit, does the manufacturer builds them in a special way? as in writing a code or instruction into the modules themselves or ?
And one more question how do I know exactly if my RAM is in dual-channel mode? what should i look for? Thanks !

As far as known, memory modules intended as part of a kit (dual, triple, or quad channel), are manufactured to closer tolerances compared to individual memory modules. Even though the "kit" modules may be manufactured to closer tolerances, there is still variation in characteristics between modules, that is why modules are then tested at the factory to ensure compatible operation with other modules of the kit.

There are several ways to check if memory is in dual channel mode. But could use either Speccy, or CPU-Z or similar program to check for dual channel operation (Speccy shows info' in main screen under RAM, and CPU-Z shows info' under "Memory" tab).

Skyline2004

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014

Noted, thank you for your help ! Cheers