R9 290 dual monitor setup turns off

JawzBreaker

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014
Hey,
I have a dual monitor(http://www.asus.com/uk/Monitors_Projectors/VN247H/) setup on a radeon r9 290 4gb (http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Radeon-R9-290-Graphics/dp/B00FTV4JV6/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1430558198&sr=8-8&keywords=radeon+r9+290+4gb) and since a couple months ago there started to be an issue with my drivers I think? Basically both my monitors turn off at a random time (as if they were disconnected from the card) so i have to turn off my pc with the actual turn on button on the pc itself you can't turn it off any other way because the monitors won't come back on. I tried installing drivers from the beta drivers to the old drivers and none of them seem to work. I also uninstalled the catalyst control centre as people told me that may be the issue but nothing changed. Please help, if nothing works I might just save up for an nvidia but I really don't want to do that.

my pc specs;
intel core i7-4820k cpu 3.70ghz
16gb kingston ddr3-1600 memory
asus sabertooth x79
1tb storage
850 corsair power supply
windows 7 64bit
I don't think anything else matters.

current drivers for the card are 14.4

thank you :)

Solution
try with single monitor instead of both for a while, if it works we'll take it from there. also make sure the card is properly seated on the pci ex slot, power connectors, monitor cables are all properly plugged. if you have another cable around try switching the cable of the monitor.

edit: check gpu-z for example if the card overheats...

on the software side, reset your power saving options to default in control panel
try with single monitor instead of both for a while, if it works we'll take it from there. also make sure the card is properly seated on the pci ex slot, power connectors, monitor cables are all properly plugged. if you have another cable around try switching the cable of the monitor.

edit: check gpu-z for example if the card overheats...

on the software side, reset your power saving options to default in control panel

Solution

JawzBreaker

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014

I used to play with one monitor and everything was fine (for a couple months) there was no issues. I tripple checked that the card is properly seated and re-plugged the cables inside the pc. I alsways have my fans on around 70% and the card runs at 50/60c so thats not the problem. I will try the last one though

JawzBreaker

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014

i'm using a hdmi cable and a dvi to hdmi cable. They are both passive.

JawzBreaker

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014

okay, i tried the last one and it did nothing :(