i5 3470 to i7 4790k worth it?

Screwby

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
Ok, before I start, I know that under normal circumstances, an upgrade from an i5 to i7 does not yield much in gaming ( at least right now).

With that said, I found a sale on the i7 4790k for right around $225-ish, brand new! Thats i5 4670k territory right there! (Matter of fact, the same site is selling the 4670k for $15 more than the i7 i have listed.)

I know that I'd have to shell out for a motherboard too since I'd be going from a 1155 to 1150. Even with Skylake coming around this year, I have never ever seen an i7 K-series CPU go for that cheap brand spanking new. I was gonna wait for Skylake to come out, but with the 4790k going for so cheap, it seemed like a good move to move in on that deal.

I don't do anything crazy in terms of CPU computing like rendering, decoding/encoding, and pretty much use the comp for gaming and movies.

Titles that I am currently playing are GTA V, Shadow of Mordor, CoD: AW, and Dying Light (not so much lately). I read one source that showed GTA V, Dying Light, and Shadow of Mordor showing noticeable improvements to fps between a 4790k and 3470.

In case you're all wondering, I am running a CM Hyper 212 EVO cooler.

Current system specs:
Intel i5 3470
AsRock Extreme4
G.Skill Ares 2133mhz 8GB RAM
G1 Gaming GTX 970
NZXT HALE82 750W PSU (single rail)
Samsung 840 Evo 120GB and 250GB SSDs
WD Blue 1TB HD

sammy sung

Distinguished
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/702?vs=1260

I mean discern for yourself whether or not it's worth it. You will get some minor improvements in performance per individual core, and obviously much better performance in programs that utilize more threads. Even more CPU bound games will benefit to a small degree from the jump. Also if you ever utilize more graphics cards pushing a larger resolution, you'll get far more use out of the 4790K

I would just hate to invest in z87/z97 at this point to be honest. Unless you're running something that's an obvious disadvantage performance wise, like a first gen i5 or even still a c2q. Your 3470 won't be a significant bottleneck for quite some time.

Screwby

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015

Yea, well it's all moot now. Turns out NCIXUS made an "advertising error" and thus has added the $100 they mistakenly took off initially.

They've even gone as far as to CANCEL already placed orders, from what I've been reading. Awful business practice. They should be ashamed..

Screwby

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
Are you having framerate issues? I'm running a 970 with a 3470, and while I haven't exactly monitored resource usage, I never experienced real issues.. runs relatively smooth at an average of 70fps using geforce exp settings.