100% Packet Loss @ Hop 1 - Router replaced - What next?

ESmith123

Reputable
May 5, 2015
Hello,

We have recently switched from cable to fiber optic for our internet. We made the switch because we were experiencing a drop in our speeds, but the internet connection itself remained up (the speeds would drop from 15mbps to 100kbps or so, before it would come back up--this caused streaming of videos to freeze or online gaming to slow to the point of being unusable). However, we are now encountering an issue where we are being disconnected from servers altogether. This happens within 10-15 min. of being connected to a server. We also get stoppage of websites all of a sudden, where the browser will say that it is unable to reach the destination server). It is also occurring on all of our devices (two home computers, tablet, and PS4). I've tried connection via a cat5 but still experiencing the issue regardless of it being wireless or not.

After calling my ISP (Consolidated Communications/SureWest), and having them check the connection on their end, they said they could find nothing wrong. So I found and ran PingPlotter to see where in the route this might be occurring, and discovered that we are getting 100% packet loss at hop 1 (the router's IP address) lasting just long enough for the servers to think we've been disconnected and dropping us (about 30 sec.). I switched out the router for a new one, thinking it may be the problem, but am still experiencing the issue.

My question is: what else could it be? I've checked our network cables and everything looks good (they are all brand new). The only thing I can think of at this point is something to do with the power in our home? We do have an older home, but have never had trouble with our electrical. I'm also using a different outlet now than when we had trouble with our cable connection. Any advice you can give me would be great. I also tried to post a picture of the results I received from PingPlotter but I am unable to post it here. I will gladly send the results to someone if needed.

Thank you.

Update: I should also say that we've also tried turning off the firewall to no effect. Also, it is just the router, no modem.

Update: Plugged the cat5 cable directly from the wall jack to the computer and no issues with packet loss. So it is only occurring when going through the router; however, as stated above, I've already replaced it. Are the specific settings that are perhaps causing this?

Ralston18

Titan
Hello,

What make and model of router or routers are you using? (Both the "old" and the "new" if not the same.)

That information wll be helpful with regards to identifying relevant "specific settings".

Also have you checked that the most recent firmware is installed - just as a matter of record....

Thanks.

ovechkin678

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014
I mean it is possible that you got a dud router/modem. It may be worth your while to try a different one and see if it still happens. Also check firmware version as the poster above mentioned. But 1st hop it is definitely on your end.

ESmith123

Reputable
May 5, 2015
I have a Netgear N750 WNDR4300; apologies for not mentioning it earlier. I also checked the firmware when I first fired it up and everything looked good.

I'm wondering now if it's possibly dirty power on my end, due to the clean signal when plugged directly from the jack to the computer, bypassing the router? Just not sure how it all works to say with confidence.

Thank you for the responses, hopefully I can isolate the problem.

Ralston18

Titan
If both routers had the same problem and if bypassing the router works then the current electrical outlet would indeed be suspect. Random loss of power could be due to a loose wire inside the outlet. Either at a terminal screw or inside a wire nut.

Try powering the router(s) from another outlet and also via an outlet using another circuit if possible. If the problem goes away then the current electrical outlet/circuit needs to be checked by a qualified person who can repair or replace as warranted.

ESmith123

Reputable
May 5, 2015
It looks like we've solved the problem. I got a hold of a tech at Consolidated who was able to see the same issue on his side. He also thought it was the router after I had checked different outlets as the last poster suggested. We were running on the theory that it was a bad batch of routers. A tech came out this morning to see if we could switch out the router again and he discovered that the original crew that installed the fiber optics box didn't connect to the proper channels, so we were getting interference. So it was on our end, but not the power or the router. Getting an excellent signal now.

Hopefully if others have this problem, and aren't able to isolate the issue, they can use some of these steps.

Thank you again for your advice and helping us narrow this down!