Deagleup

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
My parts consist of
-i5 4690K
-Gtx 760
-4 2gig rams DDR3
-ASROCK H97 PRO4

I have a old 750 watt psu but I think it's failing on me. I was playing csgo on 1920x1080 and my computer turned off multiple times. No bluescreen or anything.

Solution
Yes but what 500watt psu? Dont buy some 20 dollar piece of trash ebay psu thats just as likely to kill all the parts in your computer as it is to power them.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Well its better than a 20 dollar ebay psu but i haven't heard the greatest things about the evga 500b you get what you pay for. If you can come up with another $20 this would be much better.

http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Wired-Bronze-Power-Supply/dp/B004RJ8EKI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1430947387&sr=1-1&keywords=xfx+550

Deagleup

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014

I was originally going to order that one but I thought to myself is there really a big difference between 500 and 550 watts? But thanks for the help. :D

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Its not the wattage im worried about its the quality of the components used in the psu and the xfx which is made by seasonic uses much higher quality components than that evga.

System Power Supply Requirements for a single NVIDIA Reference Design GeForce GTX 760
NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. (Minimum system power requirement based on a PC configured with an Intel Core i7 3.2GHz 130 Watt TDP processor.)
the system power supply must also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater
the system power supply should also have at least two 75-Watt 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors. There are some non-reference design cards that require a single 150 Watt 8-pin (e.g. ASUS GTX 760 DirectCU II OC) or two 150 Watt 8-pin (e.g. MSI GTX 760 HAWK) or one 75 Watt 6-pin and one 150 Watt 8-pin (e.g. Gigabyte GTX 760 WindForce OC, EVGA GTX 760 SC w/ACX Cooler, MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr Gaming) PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) may require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

EVGA 500W (100-W1-0500-KR)
OEM: HEC
maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating: 40 Amps <===== More than Sufficient
two 150-Watt (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors <===== Sufficient
Modular Output Cables: No
Meets Official Intel Haswell Compliance: No
• 80 PLUS Standard Efficiency Certification
• 3 Year Limited Warranty

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

I would ask the moderator SR-71 Blackbird about that evga psu, i have seen him say several times that the evga 500 is not very good and he provided a link to a thread saying why that is i cant find it right now or i would post it. The reason i recommended against that evga power supply was because of him and many other negative things i have read about it.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
No worries, I've worked with a couple of them and they are good strong PSUs, they don't rank up there with the G2s, but I haven't encountered or seen any real problems. With any PSU you are going to see good and bad, if one fails and it hits the web or one gets a bad review (or better yet people aren't using them 'right' i.e. underpowered for what they do, which is all to common the way many are advertised as being a 650 or whatever, but don't mention it's 650 peak and only capable of maybe 540 or whatever continuous) then they get condemned and quite often forever. There are plenty of models that have basically been redesigned or are using different components, that nobody pays attention to that are stuck at lower tier levels in the various "tier groups' out there. And with PSUs, as with any componet, there will be some stinkers that get out and are DOA or die shortly after one has them

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

I agree for the most part but not about this evga 500watt there is a reason it is only 40 dollars and i think that reason is explained well in the thread i posted.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Yes I've seen those, but talking of the system at hand (an 88 watt CPU vs the 125 Watt AMD in the thread) the system as a whole will be fine with the EVGA. It was brought on as an entry line and provides what it shows. Nothing wrong with the XFX either, a bit dated, they've been out since 2011 or so. As I mentioned before, was typing it when you popped the links up, everybody has different things to say about different components. Some like things, some don't. In my business I'm hands on with different rigs and components daily and I test components as I work with them. It can be a fine line in matching up components as to whether they will be good, and better yet safe together. And again as said you have to look at the individual rig. A PSU good for one, may not be for another.