i5-4590 low idle temp, but skyrockets when playing games.

samhendrix

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
Here is my (strange) build:

ASRock b85-mitx
i5-4590
EVGA GTX980
550W psu (dont remember brand)
1tb Hard drive
Cooler Master elite 130 case

So, a day ago I got my new cpu cooler in the mail. The one I ordered is a Noctua NH-L9i.

So upon the arrival of that I took the motherboard out of my PC, removed the stock cpu cooler and then installed the Noctua. This was my first time doing a cpu cooler so I expected some challenges, but I did not expect the night of frustration.

I go the new cpu cooler on, it idled at around 29-33 degrees Celsius, then I tested it playing some Heros and Generals and it gradually increased to about 50 degrees which I was fine with, but it just kept going, all the way to the mid 60's and that's when I shut it down.

I took it off and re-did the thermal paste several times, using several different paste methods. Same result. So, I then tried re installing the stock cpu cooler, same result after several tries with it.

I am at a loss now. I used to get about 55 degrees while gaming with the stock cooler in the past. No cables have been moved in the case and no case fans added or removed.

samhendrix

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
@chainsaw667 - It seems to be spinning at a constant speed. Looks like it's always at 100% to me, certainly isn't moving slow.

@Unolocogringo - Fair enough, this still doesn't explain why my temps are bad even when going back to my stock cooler where it was fine with that before.

G

so you switched back to stock and the temps are still higher than they were before you started this?

G

I thought at first maybe the fan controller was acting weird, but the higher wattage CPU explains the full fan speed. the stock cooler is not plugged into the low noise adapter that came with the noctua is it? is the stock fan spinning faster or slower than you remember? Reset the BIOS settings.