A8 7600 GPU cores not visible using MSI a88xm-e35 v2 motherboard

carteblanche619

Reputable
May 9, 2015
Yesterday I purchased some components to upgrade from my antique Pentium4 PC. The new specification of my budget PC is as follows:

CPU: AMD a8 7600 kaveri apu
MoBo: MSI a88xm-e35 v2
RAM: Kingston hyperx 4GB DDR3 1866mhz
Power supply: elCheapo Iball 450w stock PSU which I got with the iball cabinet

Now, when I ordered the mobo on amazon, the product listed was a88xm-e35 while what I recieved is a88xm-e35 v2. I checked on the internet but did not find any noticeable difference between the two. After assembling the components, the system booted well in first attempt. However, the system is only able access 4CPU cores, the 6iGPU cores are not even getting detected.

I got a BIOS update from their website (6.1)which support for amd APUs and installed it. But still the OS won't detect the 6iGPU cores. Both GPUz and Afterburner show graphics adapter as "Microsoft Integrated Graphics".

I even fiddled with the BIOS IGP and PCE settings but got no success. Finally, I installed my old Radeon 5450 on its PCIex16 port and it worked pretty well without a hitch. So that clears the PSU off the suspicion.

I personally believe the bios to be the culprit. Since this is a new motherboard compared to MSI a88xm-e35, it has got only one BIOS update yet while the e35 v1 has more about7 bios updates. So, my question is that should I wait for a BIOS update or get this replaced with a88xm-e35 v1, since amazon do have 10day return policy.

Also I would like to know what you people think can be the issue

Did you install the AMD chipset drivers from the included installation CD? I use a similar board at work and the GPU cores do not show up as individual cores anyplace that I have seen, but the graphics did show up in Device Manager once the AMD software and drivers were installed.

carteblanche619

Reputable
May 9, 2015

Yeah... I installed the chipset drivers using the CD provided with MSI Motherboard. I also installed the latest catalyst beta drivers from their website. But I guess they are of no use unless the 6iGPU cores are detected by the OS. :/

Do you see the 6 iGPU cores in device manager like the 4 Cores which are visible in the processor section???

I don't recall ever seeing them, but will be back there tomorrow and take a look.

Well I'll be d- - - -d!. Another reason to not like W8. Thanks for posting the solution, I am sure others will be helped by it. I will still take a look at my work PC and post the info here.