FX 6300 + ASUS GTX 960......How much future-proof on ultra setting

ajman24

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
so i am done building my gaming rig
my main priority is playing games on 60FPS at good setting
so i was thinking how long would I be able to play games on ultra with 60 fps ...?
and what setting after that

Thanks in advance

Solution
The 6300 will in no way hold a 960 back.
The CPU barely affects game graphical settings & will have no impact on med/high/ultra settings.
It'll pair up to a 280x fine & a vs550 will cope fine.

The 4440 & 4460 do perform better in games generally but unless your wanting to push past 60htz its a negatable difference.
At stock with the 6300 you may see dips into the high 40's on some titles.
Overclocked to 4.2ghz these frame drops will be pretty much gone.

This is coming from a 6300 owner - its paired with a gtx 970 - it does the job - pretty much vsynced at 60fps on any current title.
I have plenty of disposable income ,could afford to change to Intel any time I like ,but at this present time I see no need whatsoever - running at 60fps...
Probably not at all. With that build I doubt you'll be able to game at ultra settings on really demanding titles at all. The 960 AND the FX-6300 are both somewhat middle of the road budget options, not high end enthusiast hardware. You can probably do high settings at 60fps @1080p on most titles. Some titles might require further lowering of settings while other titles might easily be run at ultra. I'd also say that within two years your CPU will be severely limiting your gameplay.

A 960 will become a limiting factor long before the fx 6300 will IMO.
Its just about capable of high settings now - looking at the evolution of gpu's over the last 3 generations expect it to only manage medium at best in 2 years time.
I disagree with darkBreeze regarding the CPUCPU - it can always be over clocked.
I hope & fully expect that future titles will take advantage of multi threading more (GTA v does) which puts the 6300 in a decent position in my eyes.

ajman24

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013

you broke my heart ,dude
anyway i still have an option to change my processor but i cant extend my budget to buy an i5 k variants
i can somehow manage to get an i5 but starting versions only
is i5 even worth the extra bucks
so to sum it up i have 3 options:
1. buy fx 6300 and buy a cooler and overclock it
2. buy some other amd processor fx 8320
3.buy i5 3rd gen or maybe 4th gen
4. to stick with fx 6300

P.S -i will have to do a lot to get those extra bucks to buy a better procesor than fx 6300
so keep it in mind and tell me the best option which is totally worth those extra bucks

ajman24

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013

ok now i facing a dilemma whether to change my processor or graphic card
People say r9 280x is a great card and better than 960?
also i am getting r9 280 3 gb for almost the same pricea as 960?
i can somehow manage to buy it but is it worth those extra pennies and is there any other better card which is more futureproof and better than 960 which will fit my budget?
mind you i have corsair vs550 as my psu so we all know 960 is power efficient but i dont know abt r9 280 or 280x
will my psu be able to handle them

Why do you have to game at ultra? From the reviews and benchmarks I see both the 6300 and 960 will not achieve ultra in many games. Even with a 970 I have read many threads of people being held back in CPU intensive games by FX6300 and FX8### cpus. If you must have ultra an i5 is where you want to be with a 970.

ajman24

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013

ok so basically ultra for me means full 1080p resolution ,V-sync ON ,msaa and anti-anialising i dont mind it
and texture and others things at high not ultra
now tell me the scope of it and how future-proof it is?

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

Then that means a i5 non k + 970/290(x) minimum.

k version i5 + gtx 980 for "future-proof" ultra gaming.

As far as the 6300 + 960, it can play games now high/medium 1080p no aa.

Don't expect rock solid 60 fps either.

It's basically living in the now.

The 6300 will in no way hold a 960 back.
The CPU barely affects game graphical settings & will have no impact on med/high/ultra settings.
It'll pair up to a 280x fine & a vs550 will cope fine.

The 4440 & 4460 do perform better in games generally but unless your wanting to push past 60htz its a negatable difference.
At stock with the 6300 you may see dips into the high 40's on some titles.
Overclocked to 4.2ghz these frame drops will be pretty much gone.

This is coming from a 6300 owner - its paired with a gtx 970 - it does the job - pretty much vsynced at 60fps on any current title.
I have plenty of disposable income ,could afford to change to Intel any time I like ,but at this present time I see no need whatsoever - running at 60fps Id gain nothing but a bit more empty space in my wallet.

Between the 280 (non x) & 960 its a personal choice - you swap slightly better performance for 1gb less vram.
If you can afford a 280x its definitely the best choice IMO.

Solution

I didn't say a word about anything being overclocked and the OP didn't ask about it or indicate a willingness to do so. Considering he's strapped on budget as it is, he may not be able to afford additional CPU cooling and case fans. And on games that have high processing resource demands, like GTA V, DAI, Skyrim, Witcher, etc., the FX-6300 will absolutely be an issue, at least as compared to an Intel chip with a much higher IPC, which I agree can be SOMEWHAT mitigated by overclocking. So while it might not drastically affect graphical settings it will affect fps.

And since I was referring to Ultra everything, which is what the OP asked about initially, my observations were right on regarding what he would and would not be able to do now, and going forward. For high or medium settings, that system is just fine and probably will be for at least three years.