R9 290 black screen with Corsair CX600M PSU

Eyesthetics

Reputable
Oct 18, 2014
I have a reference R9 290 (no oc at all) and an i5 4690k overclocked to 4.6Ghz with 1.3V, when playing demanding games like fc4 crysis 3 watch dogs whatnot or even a light game such as csgo, my screen goes black once in a while, or it freezes for a second then it says "AMD Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" , i also notice that when it does this, the GPU FAN speed drops abrubtly for example when i'm playing fc4 the fan runs at 47% and its totally audible then all of a sudden it backs down to 20% and the screen goes black and i can't do anything but reset the PC, other times it just goes black for asecond then the game stops responding but i can still use the pc..

however when i'm not pushing the graphics card, say i'm just browsing, it works just fine
i have the latest non-beta driver installed, at first i thought it was a lemon PSU so i rma it but the problem persists.

i once asked around and people were saying 600w is enough for my build

why does it do this ?

did i kill my graphics card ?

i really don't wanna buy a new PSU, my budget is really tight, i wanna buy a new motherboard.

thanks !

It MAY be a power issue, but TBH I'm running a Sapphire R9 290 OC/i5 4690K off a CX600M and it's not missed a beat in two months, nothing, no problems, not even a tiny glitch.
What I don't have is any overclock on the CPU (yet ;) ) and I think that's most likely the issue, try knocking 50 or 100MHz off the OC and see how things go.