Will 400 mhz RAM work for modern PC gaming?

Jack Schectman

Reputable
May 10, 2015
I plan to build a gaming PC and have sticks of RAM from a no-longer-functional PC that are apparently 400 mHz, and the specs I saw for the recommended build of the PC involves 1600 mHz RAM, so my question is, all other components kept the same, if the computer with 2 x 4GB 1600 mHz RAM can play a game, e.g. Skyrim, with good quality, can I expect the same game(s) to played with equal or similar quality with 4 x 2GB 400 mHz RAM, instead?
These are Samsung RAM, the part number is M378T566QZ3-CF7

Solution
Even if 400 mhz RAM is a good idea -- it's not -- DDR2 RAM isn't going to work on any modern motherboard, it was already being phased out of new motherboards by 2008-2009. It's essentially a non-option for you. Right now, the question in new builds is whether to stay with DDR3 or invest more in an early DDR4-capable platform.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Even if 400 mhz RAM is a good idea -- it's not -- DDR2 RAM isn't going to work on any modern motherboard, it was already being phased out of new motherboards by 2008-2009. It's essentially a non-option for you. Right now, the question in new builds is whether to stay with DDR3 or invest more in an early DDR4-capable platform.

Solution