FX-8350 temperatures extremely low?

rayfashizzle

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
I have a Hyper 212 Evo cooler on my FX-8350. The temperatures on this cpu idle is reading 14c, and doesn't go above 45c under full load on prime95. I've used coretemp, HWmonitor and HWinfo64 and they all read these extremely low temperatures. Ambient temperature is around 22c right now, so that idle temperature makes no sense. I've read that the AMD FX processors have inaccurate readings below 40c, but even so, 45c on full load just doesn't feel right to me. Is this normal?

45C is accurate, 14C is not because of reasons mentioned above. CoreTemp and others do sometimes get the idle temps right, happend to me many times. But they will almost always be wrong readings. If your ambient temperature is 22C, your idle is most likely around 25C, my FX 6300 idle at 28C in a 25C room, and prime95 is 44C under full load. Depending on fan speed this will vary of course. I have the same cooler.

I would make sure the thermal margin is several degrees at full load. 25°C is excellent; you can overclock it higher.