i3 4370 vs fx 6300 vs fx 4300

Church Sundae

Reputable
May 12, 2015
Hello. I wish to play simple games such as League of Legends(Max settings) and CS:GO(lowest settings but at least 144 FPS) and was wondering which CPU would gimme the best bang for my buck

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
That I can't help you with. I don't have CS:GO or an i3. You might want to post another thread later if no one responds to your current one stating your entire PC build and resolution you will be playing at... if you don't have a monitor with a 144Hz refresh rate you won't be able to see 144 fps. Just putting that out there.

crispytheone

Reputable
Mar 9, 2015
This comes up ALOT. Upgrade path I3, gaming into the future when dual cores are not enough, FX-6300, and please don't tell me how much "better" the I3 is, cause yes its better, alot better in single and dual threaded applications, but is below the minimum requirements for Witcher 3, Star Citizen and many more coming down the road, Dual Cores, Hyperthreaded or not, are a no go for me.

The FX line on the AM3+ socket is pretty dead, its not going anywhere, if you think your going to have the cash to get into an I5 soon, then go with the I3, or save a bit and get an I5-4460

As for 144fps, thats a big ask for a budget CPU

SoundFX09

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
An i3 Should handle CS:GO no problem, but I think you should consider the AMD Athlon X4 860K as well. It has 4 Cores, a 3.7 Ghz. Base-clock (Which is faster than most of the i3's), It's Overclockable, and has a decent 4MB of L2 Cache. And at $75 right now, It's one of the best bang for the buck CPU's. Just remember to get a good discreet GPU with it, since it doesn't have onboard Graphics. However, you won't have much of an upgrade path at this point.

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($71.89 @ OutletPC)

But if Intel is your Fancy, I'd actually suggest the New Intel Core i3-4170. At $125, You get a Dual-Core with Hyperthreading at 3.7 Ghz. with a decent 3MB of L3 Cache. Plus, you do get an upgrade path if your plan to upgrade the CPU later.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($126.98 @ Newegg)

Both CPU's should have near identical performance, so the choice is up to you.

Hope this helps.

KoopaCreeper

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
If you are on a budget, the cheapest gaming CPU I'll recommend to people is the Athlon X4 860K. The lack of L3 cache makes no significant difference for gaming. If you can see yourself upgrading in the future and don't mind spending more, I'd get an Intel board and a G3258, which you could then upgrade to an i5. The G3258 is dirt cheap but won't run some modern games, but it will tide you over.

As a general gaming hierarchy for buying a new CPU, X4 860K < locked i5 < unlocked i5 < unlocked i7.
I wouldn't get an aging FX processor or an i3 or Pentium for a long-period gaming investment, as they are respectively based on inefficient architectures or only have 2 physical cores.

LookItsRain

Distinguished
i3 is the best out of those, but your fps will depend on your graphics card mainly.

An i3 will beat an 860k even if the 860k is overclocked. People dont give the i3 enough credit, plenty of benchmarks can be found on the internet that prove my statement.

weezybaby

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016
Let me re-bump this thread, how's your pc? Were you able to choose between the two? I also have a question for you. You have the budget to get a 144hz monitor and doesn't have budget to get a decent CPU? If my opinion still matters then I'll go ahead and suggest that you go get yourself an i5 4690k and a normal 60hz monitor.