R9 280: Sapphire Dual-X vs XFX Double D R9-280A-TDBD

OgiD

Honorable
Apr 22, 2014
Which one is better? They are selling at about the same price.

On this comparison I can see that the XFX version seems to be factory overclocked, is that right?

And would a SeaSonic S12II PSU be enough for any of them? (Because I think that the 750w that Newegg is saying is probably too much isn't it?)

It will be part of this config:
i5 4460
H97m-D3H
8gb (2 x 4gb) G Skill Sniper DDR3 Memory

I don't intend to overclock much. If I do, it will be only a small kick.

Solution

I did answer this with the fact that that PSU will not support the R9 280. That particular PSU is a dual rail PSU and because of this it does not have enough amps on the +12v rails

You will need to look for a PSU with a single rail and a minimum of a 550W quality PSU. I recommend looking into the XFX PSU's because they are lower cost but high on the quality side. Also made by Seasonic.

Again I urge you to get teh Sapphire card because the XFX cards run very hot. Example the R9 280/ OCed that I put...
Might as well get the Double D one. I've seen reviews for that specific model and they are all good. Your PSU is sufficient.

Apparently there is a bug or something with the R9 280 where if you use dual monitors it has issues with memory overclocking. I have this issue on mine. I cannot touch the memory frequencies or it freaks out. Just something to keep in mind. Overall the 280 is a good performer. If you feel like spending slightly more why not go for a GTX 960 or a R9 285 instead.

Get the Sapphire card. The reason is the Cooler is better and the card will run cooler.

That PSU will be no good for that card. The PSU has 2 rails and will not output enough amps for the card. I personally learned this the hard way. Gey a PSU with a single rail. If cost is an issue look into the XFX PSU's because they are actually made by Seasonic.

Lets first address the Freak Out issue: This happens to all Tahiti chips and does not matter if you OC the ram or the Core clock it will happen with both. Here is a link to what happens : http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2300836/display-issues-monitor-setup.html As far as I can tell it is an issue with the driver and AMD wont fix it.

Lets now Address the R9 285 GPU: the 285 is actually weaker than the Tahiti chips. The only advantages are that it is the new Gen chip that is about to be released. It has true audio and has Free Sync tech. The GTX 960 is more powerful than both.

That PSU will not work with a Tahiti GPU. The PSU will shut down because of the over current protection.

Ah you had it too. You even used the exact card I got (the Asus one). Yea it doesn't do it with the core overclocked though. Just the memory for me. Honestly i'm tired of dealing with AMD in general. I love the guys, I really do. But their drivers prevent me from playing one of my all time favorite games (the X3 series) and I cannot overclock my cards properly. I haven't used the green team's stuff since the 8800GT, I think it is time for a change.

OgiD

Honorable
Apr 22, 2014
I actually am already on the limit of my budget, so I will get one of the two 280s. So the PSU question follows the main topic question: S12II will be enough? I need more opinions on that too, and suggestions of other possible PSUs.

I did answer this with the fact that that PSU will not support the R9 280. That particular PSU is a dual rail PSU and because of this it does not have enough amps on the +12v rails

You will need to look for a PSU with a single rail and a minimum of a 550W quality PSU. I recommend looking into the XFX PSU's because they are lower cost but high on the quality side. Also made by Seasonic.

Again I urge you to get teh Sapphire card because the XFX cards run very hot. Example the R9 280/ OCed that I put in my sons PC runs @ 34°c Idle with 2 monitors (these temps are from it being in my gaming system) and the XFX HD 7970 idles at 44°c with 2 monitors. This is because the XFX coolers are not as efficient as the other brands. The cooler they run generally the longer they last.

EDIT: I know your at you budget limit but if you could spare 4 bucks more here is a PSU that will be fine for what you want. https://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1650bbefx Single rail with 54 amps on the +12v.

Solution

OgiD

Honorable
Apr 22, 2014

I was a bit confused with the first answer, as I didn't know how the PSU rails affected it's ability to handle the GPU. Now everything is clear. I'm leaning towards the Sapphire now.

I'd like to have suggestions on the PSUs, then. Would the 550w XFX one be enough? My budget is tight, so I must consider the inexpensive side.

What other options would I have? Can I consider CX600?

[or should I open a thread on the PSU section to discuss about this part?]

it would depend on if it was a single rail and what the Amps on the +12v are. IF you find the one you would like, put a link to it and we can look at it and let you know.

As an a comparison the PSU you picked was $69.99, the XFX I suggested the price was $73.99. the extra $4 is well worth it for this PSU. it is modular, plenty of amps and manufactured by seasonic. The 550's have an amp rating of 44 amps on the +12v. This leaves very little room for OCing the GPU if you end up wanting to do it.

IF your looking to just run bare minimum then a 550w will work with out OCing. But for an extra $4.00 it is so worth it.

EDIT: the Corsair CX series are not good. They are made with poor quality parts and die often. Do not get the CX series PSU's.

OgiD

Honorable
Apr 22, 2014
Thanks a LOT for all your help! I'll keep track of those PSUs through Memorial Day sales, to see if I can get a better deal. MIR are a pain, but I won't discard that either. Thank you!

::Edit:: Just purchased the Sapphire R9 290 Dual X