Looking for a 400$ Pre-built gaming pc

iiitstyler

Reputable
May 14, 2015
hello I am new to pc gaming and yes I do understand that I have a tight budget, but I know there are a few good pcs out there I'm just not sure what to get. I don't expect to run anything to big yet but games I want to get are Dayz, Garry's mod, WOW, rust, etc. mostly steam games. I did find some refurbished pcs on newegg.com but I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. A computer mouse and keyboard aren't needed and neither is a monitor just a nice running pc. I do want to be able to upgrade parts over time in this pc but for now something that will impress me and show me if pc gaming is worth it because I am generally an Xbox one gamer so this is all new to me. And I really appreciate the help!

Solution

I suggest you research at least some guides on gaming PCs, because that is no gaming pc.

This is the only way to get good performance out of $400:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A8-7650K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($98.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($35.48 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.75 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid...

I suggest you research at least some guides on gaming PCs, because that is no gaming pc.

This is the only way to get good performance out of $400:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A8-7650K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($98.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($35.48 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.75 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.49 @ OutletPC)
Total: $396.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-14 22:49 EDT-0400

Solution
It can be done, but I wouldn't expect to have your mind blown for $400. You're on the right track with a refurbished PC. I would look for something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4GH2Y50488
And add in this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131545&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
and this (I wouldn't normally recommend this PSU, but it's better than whatever that machine comes with)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438012

After rebates and before shipping costs you'll end up at $423. A little over budget, but not too bad.

But I believe your best option is just to check eBay or Craigslist for gaming machines that are used. They don't hold their value well and after a year a gaming PC can sell for less than a third of what it was new. If you find one, just ask us if it's a good deal.

zamdrang

Reputable
May 14, 2015
It can be done for near your budget, you just have to make some concessions and lower your expectations. The beauty of PC gaming is adjusting the game to your machine, if you follow the sheep and think you have to have the latest machine to play the latest titles maxed it gets stupid expensive. I've been PC gaming since '98, trust me you do not have to have the latest hardware, you just have to learn how to tweak and adjust your machine and your games. If that is something that doesnt interest you stick to consoles or spend twice your budget.

Today's lower end components will play yesterdays titles maxed out in some cases... that is they way to keep PC gaming somewhat affordable. And be ready to lower new titles significantly. But so what...once you upgrade...which you will if you get hooked.... you can go back to those games and play them again maxed out, its like rediscovering the game again. Go on toms read all the articles on "best ..... for the money" to get an idea of what specs your looking at.

It will be something like this in the end
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229619

Twobuck40

Reputable
May 15, 2015
take a look at the Alienware Alpha.
you can find them in the Dell Outlet for under $400 (i3 model)
use the Chrome extension Page Monitor to help you know when they have them available.

clone the drive to a SSD (and maybe and additoanl 4GB memory) and they work great.

Mjlennon

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

Mjlennon

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
For 550 u can get the alienware alpha. I use it as a small compact desktop, it runs all the games u listed. But u will need to get a hdmi moniter. It can also be a living room consel with pc games. It comes with a 360 controller