motherboard constant beeping, fried CPU??

nathan h

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
I decided to try BIOS overclocking today, (I have done software successfully with AMD overdrive) and it was all going fine, was watching/reading several tutorials specific to my hardware, (in adition to the general knowledge of OC'ing I've gained over the years) I was testing every time I made an adjustment, and all of a sudden, one time, I rebooted, and I get past the BOIS screen , but as soon as it gets past that, it immediately starts beeping furiously, I have checked all the beep codes for this MOBO, and they suggested poorly seated ram, so I removed the ram, and it gave me what they said (Constant short beeping) but the beep code it is giving me is about 2-3 beeps for every 1 beep for the ram error, so I don't think it's that. Just got a new heatsink that is working like a charm (hence the urge to OC) So it can't be CPU over heating. Unplugged all power connectors, checked ram seating. so it's none of those.
If anyone has any idea's or had this before, I would be extremely grateful for any help!
System:
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-790-D3P
PSU: Corsair CX500
RAM: Kingston Hyperx Blu 8Gb
CPU: AMD Vishra FX-6300
GPU: EVGA GTX 970

nathan h

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014

Yes, I reset the BOIS to default, and then used the "CLEAR CMOS" pin on the MOBO, and still nothing.
Thanks for reply.

nathan h

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014
So I pretty much rebuilt the whole thing, unplugged and reconnected all the power connectors, removed unnecessary windows mirror drives (for extra power) put in a lower power GPU (GT 630) and removed the GTX 970, re-seated the CPU, checked thermal compound (which was brand new) and not a single thing changed. And also something new is happening that wasn't before, when I press the power button, it will turn on for about a second or two, then make a single click sound, and everything dies, (is if it would have blown a fuse) and then it restarts, and POST's normally. This is very confuzling... any ideas please!

FreshRestart

Distinguished
May 11, 2015
Are you using an old HDD for that build? This clicking sound could be a HDD failing. If the HDD isn't causing this, then it is probably the PSU. The CX series of PSUs have some really low quality capacitors, and they are known for many cases of failing because of that.