i5 4460 + R9 280 VS FX 8320 + 280x

VisualShooter96

Reputable
May 19, 2015
i5 4460 + R9 280 VS FX 8320 + 280x

HELP! Can someone tell me which one of these combos above is better for Gaming Performance?

Keep in mind that there will be no other options choosing between those two combos

They cost the same at my country. 400 Euro!

Solution
did u see dying light or GTA V benches with an FX CPU? even the stupid pseudo quad core i3 wiped the floor with the FX CPUs

they are not designed for gaming they are geared towards multitasking and rendering where the programs would push all the cores to near 100%

also don't forget the increased power consumption heat the need of a higher end motherboard to support the extra TDP is just not worth it IMO

I5 + R9 280 or if u could wait until next months grap one of the new cards and have the best performance per $ ratio

holyrage

Distinguished
u forgot to mention the bad design of the FX CPUs 2 cores per cluster or what ever it is called in a nutshell the single performance sucks donkey nuts

clock for clock the 7950 vs the 7970 u will lose 9 to 13 FPS debending on the games (if u had an I5 i would avoid AMD CPUs if this is a gaming rig the i5 will last 2-1 GPU upgrades the FX will last NON so u will have the change the CPU b4 getting another GPU in unless u had a motherboard that can get the FX Overclocked to 4.8GHZ~ i would go with the I5 for now and change the GPU later or u can wait for the R9 3XX next month anything bellow the R9 380 will be a rebrand (a cheaper rebrand hopefully)

the R9 380 and 380X might be Tonga GPUs basically a more efficient version of Tahiti GPUs with all the new bells and whistles and maybe GCN 1.3 for improved performance per clock?

VisualShooter96

Reputable
May 19, 2015
I saw the prices guys. FX 6300 + R9 290 = 395 Euro which is good,

But the only thing i am afraid of is the cpu, cause if i buy the r9 290 i will need an aftermarket cooler (35eur)
for Overclocking it or else it will bottleneck my gpu.

So if i go with i5 4460 + r9 280 will the performance be the same as with the FX 6300 (stock) + r9 290??

kwa-e

Admirable
The 6300 still performs pretty well, You probably wouldn't need an overclock on it to run many most games at a smooth 50+FPS

And the R9 290 is substantially better than the 280, with at least 40% performance across all games.

When buying an R9290 make sure to get the following modelsif you can: PCS+, Tri-X, Vapor-X, Double Disssipation.

Out of those options
A 6300 with an aftermarket cooler ,a little over clock & a 290 will give you best price to performance by a long shot.
Its still a decent combo at stock speeds IMO but you'll be wanting an aftermarket cooler with any fx chip really IMO.

You don't need to spend £35 on a cooler ,there are many cheaper 92mm alternatives that will do the job.

Comparing to a 4460+280 ,the 6300+290 will perform better at the higest ingame graphical settings IMO (even at stock speeds) the 280 will lose more frames to the 290 than the 6300 will to the 4460.

holyrage

Distinguished
did u see dying light or GTA V benches with an FX CPU? even the stupid pseudo quad core i3 wiped the floor with the FX CPUs

they are not designed for gaming they are geared towards multitasking and rendering where the programs would push all the cores to near 100%

also don't forget the increased power consumption heat the need of a higher end motherboard to support the extra TDP is just not worth it IMO

I5 + R9 280 or if u could wait until next months grap one of the new cards and have the best performance per $ ratio

Solution
The issues with dying light are non existant now on an fx chip after the 1.5 update - I've never seen fps drop below mid 40s now at any point - for the majority of the time 60fps vsync is solid.

An i3/i5/i7 suffers near the same fps drops at the same points - its just badly optimised for any rig irregardless of whether its and or Intel.

Its a bad game to pick a comparison on.