r9 290 DirectCU II OC crossfire shows little to no performance increase

John Rooney

Reputable
May 19, 2015
Berfore I start:

Motherboard: ASUS m5a99x Evo r2.0
CPU: FX 8350 (overclocked to 4.5ghz stable)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
Ram: Patriot Viper 3 1866mhz ddr3 CL10
GPU: 2 x Asus r9 290 DirectCU II OC
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 850w 80+ gold
Storage: Corsair Force LX 128gb (os), WD 7200rpm caviar blue (where GTA is)
Case: Antec 900 with a shit ton of fans (7 of them)

I recently purchased a second ASUS r9 290 DirectCU II OC for my system to help GTA V run at higher FPS with maxed graphics settings (I was getting ~20-30 with single GPU). I unplugged the pc, installed the card into the correct slot, plugged in the PSU cables, then booted the computer up and the green lights on both GPUs came on to let me know it was getting power. When I went into Catalyst Control Center there was no option to enable crossfireX, so I completely uninstalled ccc and all AMD drivers/programs and redownloaded the new ones from AMD. Voila, now I had the option to enable Crossfire X, which I did. I got almost a 100% performance increase in Unigine Heaven maxing at 145 FPS with 75 avg FPS and 30 lowest. In GTA V I had been getting roughly high 20s and hanging around 30 fps while driving or walking around, with crossfire enabled there is almost no difference and it almost seems like it hangs in the high 20s more than the 30s. *IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT MY MOBO ONLY SUPPORTS PCIE 2.0 X8 FOR CROSSFIRE AND X16 FOR SINGLE CARD* Can anyone help me here? I feel like I really just wasted a wad of cash...