R9 290 650w Power Supply?

gunmetaltrevan

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Right now I have two HD7850s in CFX. In some games it works wonderfully, but a lot of the time I find myself dealing with stability issues and bugs, and frequently it hasn't been very efficient in the games I play. I'm just tired of it and want to go back to having a single card.

From what I've seen, the R9 290 isn't a huge improvement in various benchmarks (in some it's even a little slower), but I'm certain my games that dont utilize crossfire well will see a nice boost. Also I can trade my two cards in so I'm not worried about spending a little money, even if it is a little slower in some cases -- I just want better consistency. But will this run on my 650w psu? I read here ( http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2196225/290-psu-requirement.html ) that 46amps on a single 12v rail of a 600w psu is sufficient. Mine's dual rail at 38amps.

for more info
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044

Also, I'm running a 2500k OCd to 4.4GHz and two 1TB hdds

Might want to wait a few weeks. AMD and Nvidia will be releasing new cards during June, and if the new cards do not interest you, the prices on other cards are likely to change. By the end of June enough of whats going to happen should have happened to know how its likely to affect your thoughts on buying a new video card.

shakeel amlay

Reputable
Mar 8, 2015
It will run on a 650w ( probably even a 520w) but wait till the end of June. The new cards will be released and you could opt for one of those or if they are too pricey or not so good the other cards prices will be undercut. So just wait a couple of weeks.

gunmetaltrevan

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011

Really? I was looking around the Heaven 4.0 benchmark results and saw the 290 hovering around 48-50fps in 1080p, and my CFX build scores 53 average. One of the guys even had the same processor overclocked further than mine, heh

But hey, if thats the case I'll be happy to get a boost :D I walked my girlfriend through building her pc over the phone with a 290, and I know GTA V runs significantly better on her computer than mine. And she's running an FX6300 vs my OCd 2500k.

Also, thank you everyone for the advice. Waiting until June had not occurred to me. c:

TRENDING THREADS