FX 8350 socket temperature issues

Noneli

Reputable
May 22, 2015
Hi community

This is my first post on the forums, but i have been around lurking for the past yer or so. My main problem is with 8350 socket temp runnin over 70c while gaming and its ruining my gaming experience due to thermal throttling.

Currently i have the mentioned FX + CM Hyper TX3 EVO + Asrock 970 PRO R2.0. I think the mobo is to blame since the overheating is about the mobo vrams.

So my question in a nutshell is that: is there a way to add a fan to the mobo vrams or should i just get a better mobo for my computer?

I'd love to hear if there was some aftermarket fan to solve this problem, becose i have simular second PC for my GF and she has the same kind of overheating problem.

Solution
^ it doesn't matter - its a board issue ,the asrock pro & even extreme boards are a known issue with 125w 8 cores.

You need to introduce vrm cooling to maintain any kind of stability.
The amd stock cooler would have done a better job of keeping the vrm's in check than a tower cooler like the tx3!

The poor quality of the mosfets means a higher voltage is pushed through them to maintain stability under high load - this in turn heats them up to high temps very quickly - with no heatsinks & no secondary airflow they'll throttle quickly.
Its catch 22 in this respect.

Things id suggest

1. Drop in bios & disable turbo/boost - not needed in a 8350 & pushes extra voltage for a 100mhz difference.

2. Drop in bios & disable cores 6 & 7 (will...
70°C for TX3 Evo is a good temperature for 8350 power hungry monster. The motherboard is the same as every other AMD motherboard, besides 990fx/990x. The poor VRM cooling is caused by the weaker chipset setup. Only a handful 970 mobos have passively cooled VRMs.

Jovan93

Reputable
May 18, 2014

If this helps, mine M5A99FX PRO doesn't go above 53c while gaming, so do some research, maybe you need to tweak in power settings in you'r BIOS? Have you done some OC to the CPU?

Not all 970 boards are the same ,the pro 2 is a weak board for an 8 core because it has poor quality MOSFETs & only a 4 phase setup which struggles to disperse unwanted heat due to the quality of the MOSFETs.

New motherboard would be the best option ,the tx3 evo isn't really a good enough cooler for an 8350 IMO.

You've dropped a tower cooler on a board with no vrm sinks which removes secondary cooling.

You can try the Pallas which offers very good CPU & vrm cooling in one hit - I use this on a 4 phase board & it keeps vrm temps below 30c at all times.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&sku=100812&vpn=0R100004&manufacture=Raijintek&promoid=1323

The 6300 rig in my SIG below.

Jovan93 - erm, I don't wanna be captain obvious here, but You simply can't compare Your M5A99FX PRO, which has superior 990FX chipset, and massively cooled CPU VRMs, with Asrock 970 PRO R2.0, which has mid ranged 970 chipset, and absolutely no CPU VRMs cooling whatsoever.

It's like if he said: "Hey guys, I'm unable to reach 180 km/h on my Škoda Fabia 1.2 tsi se." And You'd be like: "Ow, try to do some research, I'm reaching 400 km/h on my Koenigsegg Agera S."

Noneli

Reputable
May 22, 2015

Hi o/

Are you talking about core temperatures here? Around 53c is normal to me aswell with core, not socket temperatures. It seems that socket temps are always around +20c when compared to the core temps.

I havent done any OC, and havent messed around with bios all that much.

^ the chipset doesn't matter - the board quality does.

Asrock make crap quality am3+ boards full stop.
There are good quality cheapish 970 boards readily available

Asus m5a97 r2
Msi gaming 970
Gigabyte 970a-ud3p (easily the best IMO & on a par with any 990 board when it comes to component quality / power delivery / voltage regulation)

Jovan93

Reputable
May 18, 2014

Yes, i get the picture you're sending. But he can make better airflow and lower his OC (if he has one) to make optimal temps. Couse the one's he's having are not OK. That's to high for socket.

Jovan93

Reputable
May 18, 2014

Try researching little, update bios try tweaking with you're CPU and MOBO to get optimal temps and settings. Make you're airflow better to keep components cool.

^ it doesn't matter - its a board issue ,the asrock pro & even extreme boards are a known issue with 125w 8 cores.

You need to introduce vrm cooling to maintain any kind of stability.
The amd stock cooler would have done a better job of keeping the vrm's in check than a tower cooler like the tx3!

The poor quality of the mosfets means a higher voltage is pushed through them to maintain stability under high load - this in turn heats them up to high temps very quickly - with no heatsinks & no secondary airflow they'll throttle quickly.
Its catch 22 in this respect.

Things id suggest

1. Drop in bios & disable turbo/boost - not needed in a 8350 & pushes extra voltage for a 100mhz difference.

2. Drop in bios & disable cores 6 & 7 (will drop voltage ,wattage & turn the chip into essentially a 6350 6 core) - you'll lose 2 cores but throttling shukd stop instantly.

3. Get some vrm cooling - that Pallas cooler is your best option by miles.

4. New motherboard.

Solution

Noneli

Reputable
May 22, 2015

Thank you for your reply :) Made things nice and clear.

What kind of mobo would you suggest for my 8350? I am thinking of buying new one for myself and locking cores on my GF's computer. Hoping this would solve this for once and all.