840 evo from old computer won't show up in new computer

m4d50r3n

Reputable
May 24, 2015
I backed up my SSD to my network drive, proceeded to remove the drive from my old computer, then put it in my new computer

There are some files that I want off of it (game saves mostly) so I don't want to reformat the drive.

The backup program that I used only lets you have the program on one computer (Acronis) so I can't look at the backup and pull files from it on my new computer

The drive does not show up in disk manager

I had a similar issue with a HDD that wouldn't mount, so I kept turning the computer off, drained the capacitors, then switched the SATA port on the motherboard that the HDD was plugged into. I had to do this 3 times before I found a SATA port that worked with the HDD.

I have a z97 extreme4 motherboard

m4d50r3n

Reputable
May 24, 2015
I'm just going to assume that this is just one of those stupid hoops that I'll have to jump through

When I went to restart the computer to check the BIOS, the BIOS wouldn't open, but now the SSD shows up in explorer...

m4d50r3n

Reputable
May 24, 2015

Oh, sorry for the clarification issue, I'm not trying to use the old OS files, I just needed to get the files off of my SSD that had an installation of Windows on it as well

Is there any reason it took 10+ restarts for the SSD to show up?

m4d50r3n

Reputable
May 24, 2015
Yeah I had, and made sure that the cable was seated properly every time. It is when I got all the way back to the one that I started with was when it started working

How do you set up the new z97 PC? Do you have other OS in other hard drive to boot the PC (Z97)?

m4d50r3n

Reputable
May 24, 2015

I'm using Windows 10 on the z97, it's all good now :)