FX 8350 + CM Hyper 212 Evo overclocking

rayfashizzle

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
Started trying to overclock this CPU, but can't seem to get it past 4.5ghz. At 4.5ghz, the voltage is at 1.36 but it's still reaching up to 67c at full load. In AMD OverDrive the thermal margin is dipping down to low single digits. Is this normal with a CM Hyper 212 Evo? I thought it would definitely be enough to cool this thing to at least 4.6ghz but even at a considerably low voltage (1.36) it seems to be getting very hot.

Solution
If it had more headroom, they (AMD) would have probably branded it as a FX-9370 instead of the FX-8350. Just the luck of the chip lottery. I've read reports though of people getting better overclocking out of the FX-8370E because it's more electrically efficient (ie: made on the more mature process and so being of a 'better quality').

If you're stable at 4.5ghz, I'd lock the settings in and call it a day.

rowdymoody

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
From what I have seen from others experiences is they hit 4.5ghz at 1.35-1.36v while remaining under 60 degrees stress testing using the hyper 212 evo. You might try removing the cooler and reapplying thermal paste. Maybe you have too much or not enough thermal paste applied. Also, if the temperature in the room is warm and/or case airflow isn't good that can really mess with temps when using air cooling.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
If it had more headroom, they (AMD) would have probably branded it as a FX-9370 instead of the FX-8350. Just the luck of the chip lottery. I've read reports though of people getting better overclocking out of the FX-8370E because it's more electrically efficient (ie: made on the more mature process and so being of a 'better quality').

If you're stable at 4.5ghz, I'd lock the settings in and call it a day.

Solution
Do you have Line load calibration or correction(different bios different name) enabled? If so then the voltage will be increased as the chip is put under load.
V-Droop is normal on processors and LLC increases the voltage to keep it at a stable setting within the chip.
It can easily reach 1.4-1.45v with it enabled under load.

that's about as far as you'll go on a hyper evo 212.

generally when people ask me i will tell them i will get you almost to the piledriver voltage wall but no further. so typically anywhere from 4.3-4.6ghz depending on the cpu in question.

I'd say you're getting expected performance from it. You might be able to cool down the cpu a bit with a fan behind the socket or a fan pointed down onto the vrms... depends on where the heat is coming from. But to expect much more from the 212 is probably expecting too much.

to get a piledriver cpu over the voltage wall you typically need a good closed loop water cooler or a VERY high end air tower.

Play with the PWM fan voltages in the BIOS, get it to run harder. It will also greatly work to your advantage if you can dump the heat from the CM right out the top of the case.

I've got a 8320 stable @ 4.6-4.7 (2 days on Prime95) on a 212 Evo, but usually don't need it to run that high for decent performance. A lot of it is just the silicon lottery though - some will clock higher than others.