8320 upgrade to 4790k worth it?

KENDAWG2000

Honorable
Dec 6, 2014
Hello tom'sHardware, I am here with yet another request for support :D

I have been looking into doing some major upgrades to my PC this summer.
I got this PC Built last summer and already upgraded the Graphics Card. Now was seeing if a CPU upgrade was worth it?

Either way story short, is this worth it?
AMD FX 8320 @3.9ghz to a 4790k

I use my PC for:
-Video Rendering
-Photoshop
-Gaming
-And multi tasking

Current Specs:
8GB DDR3 ram
MSI GTX 970
AMD FX 8320 @3.9ghz

Solution
you probably won't see much of a performance increase in gaming (though some elitists will probably argue with me otherwise), but you definitely would see a difference with video rendering times and probably a better multitasking experience. I've been hearing photoshop takes up a lot of resources nowadays too (I only use CS3) so it'll probably help with that also.

It's up to you honestly whether you think it would be a well-worth change, going through the hassle of buying a new motherboard, CPU, and reinstalling Windows (you will have to reinstall windows, usually the switch from an AMD to an Intel board will force you to) for the sake of a more powerful computer in the end.

PCBuilderProbs

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
you probably won't see much of a performance increase in gaming (though some elitists will probably argue with me otherwise), but you definitely would see a difference with video rendering times and probably a better multitasking experience. I've been hearing photoshop takes up a lot of resources nowadays too (I only use CS3) so it'll probably help with that also.

It's up to you honestly whether you think it would be a well-worth change, going through the hassle of buying a new motherboard, CPU, and reinstalling Windows (you will have to reinstall windows, usually the switch from an AMD to an Intel board will force you to) for the sake of a more powerful computer in the end.

Solution
I'd hold off to your FX-8320, invest in an aftermarket cooler if you haven't already and OC it as much as you can, and wait for the new Intel and AMD offerings, so you can jump into the newest technology that will last you even longer than a i7 4790k.

I'd also suggest getting 16gb of ram. As said above you won't see a lot of performance gains in most games other than the CPU intensive ones (Most MMOs, some large scale first person shooter games such as BF4 and some RTS games like SC2). but for rendering you should see a decent improvement in the time it takes.

KENDAWG2000

Honorable
Dec 6, 2014

Thanks for the response, thats what I was figuring. Yeah I will prob hold off a little while than, since I would need a whole new MOBO and such.

KENDAWG2000

Honorable
Dec 6, 2014

Okay your probably right, if its not too much of a difference it would probably be best to wait a bit.

KENDAWG2000

Honorable
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah, I was planning on upgrading the ram to 16gb, getting an SSD as main boot drive and possibly water cooling the CPU (after seeing that mine isn't too far from a 4790k) Thanks for responding