i5-3330 quad core (3.0ghz) bottlenecked.

viciousskittle

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
Hi, I recently bought the witcher 3: wild hunt and noticed my FPS would be between 40 and 60, depending on the area. Now that is to be expected with a rig like mine that isn't that new, but what got me confused was how I would be between 40-60 with everything low or off, but I could then turn all the graphics onto medium with some other options to high and still get 40-60, so no change in performance at all.

So I did some prodding around, recomened specs and the like, and I also ran a few tests using the Intel extreme tuning utility and ASUS GPU tweak, to see if it was my CPU or GPU acting up. My GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 was working fine. 100% usage so that was being choked, but my CPU was sitting around 50% for most of the time playing the game. It just seemed to pretty much stay around 40-60% use, which I'm pretty sure isn't right.

Here's the graph from the programme of usage during a 30 minutes of play

gGtVK3l.png

Any tips on removing this bottleneck? If it's even possible?

Solution
Yeah, as demanding as witcher 3 is, it only eats 50% usage in my cpu and 100% on both my 970s. Definitely a gpu problem. You will at least need a gtx 970 or better to keep it over 60.

viciousskittle

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
That's the weird thing though. Running the game on minimum settings with everything I can turn off, turned off, it runs at 40-60fps. But then shoving everything onto medium, with textures and detail on high, the performance stays at 40-60fps. So is it 100% my GPU and not my CPU?