i5-4460 vs i5-4690k, which one to get for a gaming rig & future-proof?

Spoiler_co

Reputable
May 29, 2015
Hey everyone!

I'm trying to decide between the i5-4460 and the i5-4690k for a budget gaming pc, and I'd like it to last me for at least the next 3-5 years (so I won't have to upgrade any components to be able to enjoy new games that come out). I have no experience with OC.

Games I plan to play are witcher 3, star citizen, mgs5-- with preferably an average of 40-50fps at high settings (I'm planning to get a gtx 960 gpu).

Which motherboard would you suggest for either of the CPU? Is the MSI B85M-E45 motherboard with the i5-4460 a good combination?

Thanks in advance!

Solution

IamTimTech

Admirable
Oct 13, 2014
Neither is a future proof, the difference is that one overclocks and the other does not, clock speed is irrelevant between the two. The overclocked speeds of the 4690K overclocked will let perform about 10% faster than the 4460 which cannot be overclocked. That will not increase its effective lifespan though; both processors are going to do well until quad cores is no longer enough, and that shouldn't be for some time still. We are just now beginning to make use of multiple cores properly.

People still have i5-3570K and it still works great for gaming and that was the 1155 socket.

Keep in mind, the 980ti, the R9 300 series, broadwell and skylake chips have all leaked and are officially slated for no later than late August. Now really is the time to think about if you need a new computer now or if you can wait.

If you do want one now then get a Z97 board and a Pentium G3258 and then consider one of the Broadwell Chips. Those ships are going to run on much lower wattage and apparently are going to overclock like mad.

Complicated answers are what you get when you use terms like "future proofing"

pompusham

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015

How so? If you are gunna get a i5 u are more than likely to OC. in terms of how long it will last him he can get another 6 months to a year off of a hard OC on the i5-4690k.
EDIT: and the 1155 socket will take way newer CPUs. all the way untill he needs to get a 2011 socket or what ever the new socket is in 5 years!

IamTimTech

Admirable
Oct 13, 2014

No, you are not more likely to overclock. The amount of people focused on forums may overclock but keep in mind that the population on these forums is made up of half people who are enthusiasts and the other half who just seek knowledge. The majority of PC users never even go in their bios.

The price you pay for the fair performance increase does not equate to a valuable investment. But the standard 3.2Ghz i5-4460 is going to be chugging along doing the same workloads the 4690K is when they become outdated. The 4690K may be doing them slightly faster, but it is not going extend its life any further than the 4460's. That is a misconception.

This goes doubly for the fact that we are near the end of silicone road. We are looking for new mediums such as graphine to replace it. The amount of cores is what's going to expire these chips.

Is the 4690K more fun, faster, and better to brag about? Sure. Does that equate to better? No. Especially considering the extra $75 (minimum) you are going to spend for the cost of the K varient chip, Z97 chipset board andbasic air cooler. It's the hobbyist decision, not the practical one.

Also: The 1155 socket is the previous generation which hosted ivy bridge technology as made reference to by the i5-3570K. 1150 is the Current socket hosting Haswell and soon Broadwell technology. Releasing in late Jung, Broadwell is the last processor that will use the 1150 socket. It will shortly be replaced by the 1151 socket which will host Skylake technology.

pompusham

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015

The thing this guy is asking is more or less how long he can get away with out upgrading. The i5-4690k will last him A BIT longer. Does he need to OC the cpu right away? no. Even a soft OC (4.2) would allow him to hold out a bit longer. And if you think that quad core CPUs will become outdated in 3-5 years u need to check once more. For a gaming rig a i5-4690k is better than a i5-4460. Is it worth the extra price? I dont know, its up to this guy. Its not worth getting into a internet fight over LOL. But if u want to save $50 and put it into something than do that. Its all up to you man and both CPUs are a good choice. So to solve this guys question the i5-4690k is a better cpu for people who know how to over clock. Good luck in your computer building project, hope you have fun!

IamTimTech

Admirable
Oct 13, 2014

I see where you are coming from. I PERSONALLY, would take that extra $50 (just for the chip, not to mention the cooler and nicer motherboard) and put it into a GPU. Just me, and just for the record I would guess that it's going to last longer than 5 years before it NEEDS to be replaced.

Solution

Chris Bob

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Theres a big difference between the two. For one, one oc and one doesnt. Two, one has a higher stock clock speed than the other. Whilst overclocking you can encouter alot of issues with power consumption and stuff along them lines. So if i was you i would go for the i5 4460. Works well with alot of the top of the line and mid-ranged video cards such as the 1070/1060 or even the 980ti