100% CPU usage spikes causing FPS spikes

OrigD

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014
As said in the title while playing games I will get a CPU usage of 100% which will drag the fps of everything down to around 0-10. It happens quite frequently and when it does happen it lasts for about 10 seconds before everything returns to normal. Specs:
AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor
CPU Speed 3.6
8 GB Ram
Win 7 64 bit
If I missed anything just tell me.
Thanks

Solution
Again, you have a slow CPU. In some games, the CPU is used more than in others, and in those games, a slow GPU will slow things down. And that is what I see happening here. Your little CPU is working hard, but its slow. And your GPU is waiting for the CPU to finish, so that it can finish up the frame its been working on.

You also have not told us which 6800 CPU you have, so it makes it hard for me to tell you exactly what is going on there. We need to stop dribbling out information a piece at a time. Give me the whole picture and I can tell you what I see.

birne

Reputable
May 19, 2015
could be overheating, where the cpu clocks itselfe down to protect itselfe. try running coretemp in taskbar and look at the temps, and the clock speed while the spikes occur.
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

OrigD

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014
Just my luck it seems to not be doing it for now, as soon as it does ill be sure to get a picture of the core temp tool you posted, and thanks for the quick reply.

Why are you bothered by the fact that your CPU is working hard at times? Its doing whatever the game has told it to do. As soon as it is done with that work, it will go back to a much lower level of usage.

And again, your temps are just fine. No problem there at all. Most people would be thrilled to only see 67c during gaming.

OrigD

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014
But it shouldn't be this bad the fps goes to about 5 for around 10 secs making the game pretty much unplayable until the fps goes back to normal.

Again, you have a slow CPU. In some games, the CPU is used more than in others, and in those games, a slow GPU will slow things down. And that is what I see happening here. Your little CPU is working hard, but its slow. And your GPU is waiting for the CPU to finish, so that it can finish up the frame its been working on.

You also have not told us which 6800 CPU you have, so it makes it hard for me to tell you exactly what is going on there. We need to stop dribbling out information a piece at a time. Give me the whole picture and I can tell you what I see.

Solution

OrigD

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014
No idea on how to find out what the CPU is.
Is this what your after?
AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Not really. But lets assume that it is a Radeon HD 6850 for now.

That should still be a decent video card. Its the CPU that bothers me. The fact that it is slow, and is trying to it's best to keep up, but just cannot do it at times. As long as you have a weak CPU like this one, there are going to be some games that the computer just cannot play well.