980 Ti GPU Droop vs. Cooler Master GPU Bracket

Jun 12, 2014
So the main thing that's kept me from buying the reference GTX 980 Ti is that it has no backplate. I am concerned about "GPU Droop" happening over time, where the weight of card can bend the PCB. I know this happens to aftermarket coolers and I assume it happens to the reference blowers - correct me if I'm wrong!

And my case, the Cooler Master HAF X (HAF 942) has a built-in GPU bracket for supporting high-end graphics cards. It's metal with mesh and the space inside its framework for a 15mm-thick 80mm fan, and has plastic appendages at the end to hold two reference-sized cards or one dual-slot card (like my Clud3D R9 290).

Here's a pic from my classified on my R9 290:
graphics_card_for_sale___2_by_mechpilot524-d8w252v.jpg

So, the question is: do I need a backplate since I have that GPU bracket? Does the reference cooler even suffer from GPU droop?

Solution
I was speaking in a general sense w/o reference to the bracket. As the bracket, or at least what I am thinking is the bracket is on a slant, I don't think it is doing its job. It certainly is inhibiting airflow tho. A small piece of rigid tube placed under the right hand corner where it says "AM" would provide a less restrictive and supportive role.

ZeroGravity780

Reputable
Oct 28, 2014
I have 2 MSI 970s and they sagged slightly. I didnt worry about it but i bought a reference 980 ti and its seems much more stable and built better. No it doesnt have a back plate but its a solid card so it does not sag for me.

A flat backplate doesn't do anything for droop, it actually adds to it due to the additional weight.

|_____________^
|

To stop droop, you need provide an uplift force ^ . The backplate doesn't do that. From a structural engineering PoV, the most common method would be a tieback a bracket or support post. various arrangements are feasible but without a standard card length they wouldn't work. The easiest thing one can do is something I used as a temporary solution but I kinda liked so I kept it. In the pic below, you can see a 10/12 mm clear acrylic tube with a G-1/4 connection fitting left over from the water cooling loop supporting the lower GFX card at the "dippy" corner. Another tube sits on top of the lower card's backplate and holds up the card above it just like successive floors of hotel balconies. Hard to see thru the cables ... which I still haven't gotten around to sleeving yet :(

20ded621_002.jpeg

Jun 12, 2014

So basically, the bracket will combat droop and a backplate will actually worsen droop?

graphics_card_for_sale___2_by_mechpilot524-d8w252v.jpg

As you can see the fingers of the bracket are holding the card at 5/8 or 2/3 along the length of the graphics card, would it be what you call a "feasible arrangement"?

I was speaking in a general sense w/o reference to the bracket. As the bracket, or at least what I am thinking is the bracket is on a slant, I don't think it is doing its job. It certainly is inhibiting airflow tho. A small piece of rigid tube placed under the right hand corner where it says "AM" would provide a less restrictive and supportive role.

Solution
Jun 12, 2014

Yes, it is slanting. Hopefully my card isn't drooping....
So I dug through my original case packaging and found a piece of plastic that will, with some minor modifications, do what you say I need to do. This piece is made to hold a 120mm fan and pull air from the front intake through the HDD cages, and it encloses the ends of the GPUs. Although it is just a bit low for the lower lip to be resting on my GPU... I can probably modify it like ducktape some Legos or something so that it will hold up a GPU on a higher slot.

Yes I saw that

MLkFY.jpg

Not very aesthetically leasing tho.... and also reduces air flow.

When you calculate heat loads.... you will find that the rads only remove about 60% of the theoretical heat load.... some of that obviously never gets produced (15% ?) as not everything is at max load at the same instant. The other part (25%?) is radiated into the case.

You will install thermal pads between the card and the backplate which transfer heat from the memory, GPU, VRMs to the backplate.... to help that process air flow over the backplate helps take that heat away .... the plastic thingie and bracket would seem to impact that process.

Jun 12, 2014

Okay.... but to combat GPU droop, I would need an ultraminimalist support beam that, like you say, simply supports the end of the card? There isn't really any other way, is there?