FX-8320 frequency drops to idle under load

King of Worms

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
Hello,

My computer is behaving strangely after I tried changing the stock CPU cooler for a CM Hyper 212x. When the CPU is under load (prime95, gaming, video rendering, etc) the frequency and multiplier drops to 1.400 ghz / 7x for 3 seconds and go back up again to it's normal, causing huge framerate drops in games. This is happening constantly, each 5 seconds.

My temperatures are fine according to HWMonitor: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/368/18523093141_fce30acd7b_o.jpg

I tried installing the stock cooler back (the image above is with the stock one) but the problem persists. Also, I hear the CPU/fan accelerating and "breaking" when under heavy load. Both coolers are making an accute buzz sound that didn't happened before.

What have I done wrong?

My specs:

AMD FX-8320 Black Edition
Gigabyte GA-970a-D3
8 GB DDR3 1600mhz
GTX 760 2 GB
Power Supply Aerocool Strike-X 500w 80 plus
Windows 8.1 x64

Solution
That's normal; the motherboard's VRMs can't handle the load of that CPU (even the rev. 3.0 should have issues because of the 4+1 VRMs) and it throttles to protect itself. The Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P doesn't have that issue and it would keep your CPU running at full speed.
That's normal; the motherboard's VRMs can't handle the load of that CPU (even the rev. 3.0 should have issues because of the 4+1 VRMs) and it throttles to protect itself. The Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P doesn't have that issue and it would keep your CPU running at full speed.

Solution

King of Worms

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015

But I have this computer since 2013 and never had a problem with it. Maybe I damaged the MB while trying to install the 212x? I had to use a little bit of force to screw it in place.

r_ward_87

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015

Make sure you have APM disabled in the bios. It makes sure to throttle the CPU if it reaches its TDP. I had that problem once on a couple of 970 boards, A lot of people have this problem on 780 series boards, but APM cant be disabled on the majority of them.

It might be the VRM's, but i was told that about my M5A-97 boards, but they could hold a steady 4.7ghz with my fx 6300 with apm off, and throttled to 1.4ghz sporadically at stock clocks with APM on.

It was happening on my mates 990fx killer up until last night when i disabled APM for him. Now he's chuffed.

Other than installing the 212 Evo, nothing else was changed?

King of Worms

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015

No, nothing else has changed, nor in software or hardware. He's a video example of what's happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyYxLMsLd9g

I'll try disabling APM as r_ward_87 suggested.

King of Worms

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015

Yes, it does the same thing on Prime 95 Smal FFT test.

King of Worms

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
Yes it was a VRM problem all along. The cooler had nothing to do with the CPU throttling. My VRM were pratically burned out under the heatsink. Now I bought and installed a Gigabyte 99FXA-UD5 and all is fine. BTW, the power supply is intact.