Is the 980 ti reference cooler good enough for overclocking?

Mendozer03

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015
I just bought it and I plan to try and oc it to around 1400 MHz and I'm concerned the reference cooler won't be enough. I know EVGA sells the hybrid cooler for $100 but I wanted to know if there are any other aftermarket non-waterblock cooling options that are the same price or cheaper

Solution
The cooler nvidia used with the 980 ti reference design is one of the best regarded nvidia coolers ever.

It's the same one on the higher wattage triton X, runs quiet and dumps the hot air out of the case.

If I were going for a 980 ti my default would be the reference design just to get the cooler (unless I saw enough reviews to be sure that the custom solution really was better, and I'd probably always suspect I made a mistake.) Nice card.

The ref cooler also looks great.
The cooler nvidia used with the 980 ti reference design is one of the best regarded nvidia coolers ever.

It's the same one on the higher wattage triton X, runs quiet and dumps the hot air out of the case.

If I were going for a 980 ti my default would be the reference design just to get the cooler (unless I saw enough reviews to be sure that the custom solution really was better, and I'd probably always suspect I made a mistake.) Nice card.

The ref cooler also looks great.

Solution