2x 1866 + 2x 1600 Ram, vs 3x 1866

Jacob Mennes

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
Hello, so i recently got a free stick of 8gb 1866 ram from newegg (i love them for this) and i tried just putting the ram in my pc with the already 2x4gb 1866 ram, and it didnt seem to boot? i have to double check to see if they are seated all the way, but it seemed they were!

But my girlfriend has a pc and she has 2x4gb 1600 and i was just gonna put the 8gb 1866 stick in there, but im not sure what is best for performance

Solution
Ah your free stick has different timings and latency compared to either of your's.... you would need to clock your RAM to match to even have a chance at getting it to work.

Which i dont advise as its inferior to your current RAM.... just sell the stick and move on :p

You could try adding it to your girlfriends, she might see some gain just by having more even if its slower, you have a better chance of speeding its timing to match hers and slowing the free RAM to 1600 than getting your 1866 to reach cas 10.
But it's a lot of work to make sure its stable... I can think of better ways to spend a day with a girlfriend ;) :p

blurryy

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015
You never want to mix and match RAM sticks, especially if there in different MHZ (ex. 1866, 1600)

By mixing memory kits together, there may be compatibility issues such as unable to boot or unable to operate at rated specifications.

drtoast

Honorable
May 10, 2013
In theory it should downclock to match speeds if you put in her pc... but its not a sure thing to even work as stated above.

Did you check the voltage? its entirely possible your 1866 are 1.5v and the new to be 1.65v... so you would just have to boost voltage first, then install it if you so wished to do so. But again, its not a sure thing at all.

drtoast

Honorable
May 10, 2013

Check your existing kit, and then read some guides on it. Not all 1.5v RAM will be happy with 1.65v.

PLEASE PLEASE make sure if you do its the memory voltage you change not the cpu... because you will straight up kill it otherwise.

Check the voltage on the sticks before you install it, otherwise it could be a waste of time.

drtoast

Honorable
May 10, 2013
Ah your free stick has different timings and latency compared to either of your's.... you would need to clock your RAM to match to even have a chance at getting it to work.

Which i dont advise as its inferior to your current RAM.... just sell the stick and move on :p

You could try adding it to your girlfriends, she might see some gain just by having more even if its slower, you have a better chance of speeding its timing to match hers and slowing the free RAM to 1600 than getting your 1866 to reach cas 10.
But it's a lot of work to make sure its stable... I can think of better ways to spend a day with a girlfriend ;) :p

Solution

Jacob Mennes

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
thanks man :) i just wasnt sure performance wise if it was worth sacrificing the cas latency/speed for the extra 8gb. I dont really compile things enough to be able to use that much ram either i think, but i do love to max out my game settings! :D

drtoast

Honorable
May 10, 2013
Meh, During maxing out witcher 3 i only use 3.7gb RAM....

I believe battlefield may be slightly higher on 64man servers but I havent played it yet :p 8 should be fine, should cope if you started streaming gameplay although you might want more to be safe if you did so.